Best Ram and SSD for MacBook 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mada88, Dec 11, 2013.

1. mada88 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've just bought a macbook white 13 2010 and I want to upgrade the ram to 8GB. Who makes the best / fastest 4GB ram?

Also I want to upgrade to a SSD coming from a macbook air and a samsung google chromebook. Fast boot times are really nice. Again which is the best / fastest to upgrade with?

Answers are much appreciated thank you very much :)

Regards

2. mada88 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. WildCard^ macrumors regular

hehe, been busy today.
    I love Crucial Ram. It's quality at a good price. You find it at www.crucial.com. Run the scan, it will tell you what memory options you have and will give you pricing.

SSD, I like the Kingston's found cheap at Newegg. SATA3 drive works great in SATA2 or SATA3 slots.

Many here swear by OWC.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I have 8GB of OWC RAM I got in 2011 for my 2008 MacBook along with a 120GB OWC 3G SSD and OWC Data Doubler for the optical bay. Never had a problem with any of the three. I just moved the RAM and SSD/Bracket over to my new to me 2010 15" MBP since it's all the exact same stuff.

I'm not particularly brand partial. But most the stuff I do have is from OWC. My RAM, three sets of 2x2GB DDR2 for 07-08 iMac's, and a MacBook, the SSD, Data Doubler, a NuPower Battery for my '08 that works great ordered through OWC, and a few OWC Mercury Elite Pro drives. Nice to have it all from one place.

I do have three Kingston SSDNow drives (120GB '07 MBP, 120GB '08 MB, 60GB Dell Precision) and they all run great and are reasonably priced depending where you get them. One was about $100, then I got one on sale for $75, they typically run around $80-$90 though. Seem to be fast, but I don't have any way to use them to their full potential (Sata I, and Sata II in those Mac/PC's).

So in the end, OWC is a great place to go, and easy to find parts for any Mac. :)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

RAM is a commodity item. Find out what the specs are for your RAM, then buy it wherever you can get it cheapest from a company you think will be around if you have a warranty issue.

For the SSD many users here are installing the Samsung EVO line of SSDs and it is a good value.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with OWC for either RAM or SSD, but they tend to be overpriced for no better product.

6. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I've been told that Macs are finicky with their ram timings or something - so I always get the cheapest name brand I can find, then run a memtest on the ram right away.

7. mada88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello thank you for the advice. The Samsung SSD is the one to go for the OWC 3G is as you said pricy compared to the samsung. I have read that the samsung is faster than the OWC 3G both read and write is this correct?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is correct.