Best RAM configuration for MacPro 2.66 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fab5freddy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

What's the best RAM configuration for a MacPro 2.66 ( the new one )

what i mean is, is it better to have pairs of same kind or size .....etc...?

i would like to have in total around 8 GB of RAM ..

is that a decent amount for heavy photoshop and video work...?

2. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

8GB is plenty of RAM. If you're configuring from scratch, the optimum arrangement would be 2 pairs of 2 GB sticks....The first pair (i.e. 4 GB) on the upper riser in slots 1 and 2, and the same arrangement on the bottom riser.

3. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

The ram gets split evenly over each core, so you want it to be evenly into 4 (2GBx4 or 1GBx8) so the computers doesn't have to add a little from this and a little from this. I'd say that 2GBx4 is better because the computer doesn't have to divide the data more than it needs too, but that's just a guess. 2GBx4 also leaves more slots open for later upgrades.

4. pprior macrumors 65816

I do heavy photoshop and some video (though not HD work) and run 8 gigs. I think it's enough, though if you are running something else like parallels that is a memory hog then a bit more might be nice.

If you can do it then 4 x 2 gb is perfect! As noted above, split them into 2 into each riser in slot a.

Cheers!

5. rshanahan macrumors regular

How about 9gb??

I upgraded my 1gb Mac Pro with 4 2g sticks populated as everyone says. I moved my original 1gb (2x512) to the 2nd location on riser a. Everything has been working ok. I was just wondering if having that oddball 1gb on 1 riser would slow things down or not. I run Fusion with at least 1 full time xp machine running (with 3gb dedicated to it).

Thanks!
    Rick

6. Rowlander macrumors member

Good question. 9 Gigs seems a bit odd, but it´s probably okay since you have the one Gig paired (2x512).

What about 6 Gigs total? Is adding 2x2GB sticks to the 2x1GB sticks a bad idea? Should they all be the same capacity? Or is it alright as long as there are pairs?