Best RAM for late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bansheebeat, May 2, 2012.

1. bansheebeat macrumors regular

bansheebeat

So I'm sure there are a ton of other threads about this, but I couldn't really find any that addressed this specific question (sorry if I didn't search well enough) but I am wanting to upgrade to 8gigs of RAM and I'm wondering what manufacturer is usually the best for the price. Kingston, Corsair, etc. And where can I find the best price? Thanks for the help guys.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

RAM is RAM, for the most part. Any recognized brand is fine. As for best price, that changes constantly, as different companies have sales. You can search the forum for recent threads on RAM, as many times people post when sales are happening.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I used Crucial RAM in MBP and couldn't be happier with it. It perfumes very well. That being said RAM is RAM and any RAM that you buy should do the job for you.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sweet-smelling RAM! Great idea! :D

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:
    :D:D You got there first!...:) Smelly RAM? Whatever next?

6. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

Been using the Corsair brand of 16GB chips since November 2011 and have had zero problems on a MBP that is ran over 10 hours a day doing extensive video editing.

There have been a rogue crew of people that "claim" that this brand of ram is no good and will do severe damage to my MBP because I am using Corsair chips, but as of to date no one has been able to detail with some tangible facts what that damage will be.

If you have the money by the more expensive version from OWC, Crucial, etc and that way you won't get teased by all the cool kids for saving money buying ram that will do exactly the same thing as the hip brands.

7. cperry2 macrumors regular

Corsair or g.skill typically. And you might as well get 16gb these days - normally they go for 130, got mine on sale for 85.

8. bansheebeat thread starter macrumors regular

bansheebeat

Awesome! Thanks for all the help. But to those who recommended 16... is the MBP expandable up to 16? I thought it only was able to go up to 8?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The actual max is 16GB. Read the links in my earlier post, as well as the bolded text.

10. bansheebeat thread starter macrumors regular

bansheebeat

Whoops, must have skimmed past that part. Thanks a ton.

11. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

I just ordered yesterday the upgrade 8gb kit from Crucial and I just put it in myself in less than 10mins.

Checked the settings and its all there and showing :)