Best RAM setup for video editing on 8-Core '08 MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kamek, Oct 8, 2009.

1. kamek macrumors newbie

EDIT: All questions about best ram arrangement for 8-core '08 MP's can be found in these two links:
    http://www.barefeats.com/harper3.html
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Benchmarks/macproearly08ram/article.html

This is for reference incase anyone else comes across a similar question.

--

I've searched around trying to see what how much ram people are running for video editing (or even editing in general), and it seems like the range is anywhere from 6-12+ GB. I currently only have the stock 2 x 1-GB sticks. I have three questions:

1. What would be a recommended amount of ram to run if I'm doing basic editing in Final Cut Pro of HD video? Maybe a few graphics here and there, but nothing too extreme. I'm using FCP and After Effects. I'm also running Photoshop (not at the same time), but I'm not sure if that affects anything.

2. What would be the best way of setting up the ram for an 8-Core '08 MP? Setting up as in what amount of X-GB sticks to install in what slots.

3. Is there an ideal setup and a more cost effective setup? I currently can't afford to throw in, say, 16-GB, but I also don't want to just "get by" with the bare minimum. I'm just looking for performance gains to help make my workflow more efficient.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your best options are either 8, 12 or 16 GB. If you start with 2 GB now 12 looks like generous. You could get 5 x 2GB.

A good way to fit them is:

Riser A

1- 2GB
    2- 2GB
    3- 2GB
    4- empty

Riser B

1- 2GB
    2- 2GB
    3- 1GB
    4- 1GB

If you go for 8 you can just buy 3 Sticks and leave out one stick on top of each riser card.

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Can you afford to purchase the RAM from otherworldcomputing.com?
    For the Nehalem Mac Pro 16GB RAM is $639.99.

Kind Regards

4. kamek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Do you think I should really stretch for the 12GB?

Thanks, but $639.99 is too much for me, and I don't have the Nehalem MP.

--

This is what I found in another thread, but I need some help understanding it:

Since the memory runs in pairs, does that mean I could run 4 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB? And since it's accessed in 3's, would it make sense to set it up as:

Riser A
    Slot 1: 2GB
    Slot 2: 2GB
    Slot 3: 1GB
    Slot 4: 1GB

Riser B
    Slot 1: 2GB
    Slot 2: 2GB
    Slot 3: empty
    Slot 4: empty

And the last question: If this setup is possible, is 10GB enough, or should I really try for 12GB?

Thanks!

5. bigbird macrumors 6502

Get 2 X 1 GB and fill riser B, slots 3 & 4, so that you will have matched pairs in all risers, for total of 12GB.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your next best option is 8GB which is probably also quite generous. You can always buy 2 more sticks if that does not satisfy you.

You need to distinguish between 2008 and 2009 memory. They are very different. The three channel access applies to the 2009 Mac Pro with the QPI memory technology. You have a 5000 chipset which has a conventional front side bus and the memory is organized in two channels.

I gave you a scheme for 8 GB already.

10 GB is not recommended because you would not achieve good symmetry with your 1 GB sticks. The choice between 8 and 12 is more a question of personal taste and preference. You have to see for yourself.

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

As much as you can possibly afford. Video editing? Yup! As much as you can afford!

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Well, there a lot of options for almost every model of Mac from OWC.
    How much do you have to spend for the RAM?

Do you have the Mac Pro3,1?
    If so then this RAM (introduced Jan 8th 08) should be good http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

You can get 4 2GB modules for $249 or 2 4GB modules for $259.
    Is it possible to do two 4GB DIMMs, one in each riser?

Kind Regards

9. Manware macrumors newbie

FCP hasn´t problems on octocore system with 6 or 12 Gb ram but after effects needs 2Gb ram per core to show you his muscle :) or buy less memory and limited de cores, example:

Octocore 4 cores enabled needs 8 GB ram

Octocore 8 cores enabled needs 16GB ram recomended

Yesterday I was rendering a complex scene on AF CS4 on FullHD, time estimated to finish with 2 cores 6H with all cores enabled finished the rendering task on 2H and 50Min.

You should to put a lot of ram :) to HD video.

Cheers

Update: There are to many plugins that not work on multicore system and disabled by default seven cores.

10. kamek thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe me when I say I'm not trying to argue, but just trying to understand. What makes your scheme of 7 sticks to make 12GB, or 5 sticks to make 8GB symmetrical? If ram runs in pairs, then why leave one stick open to run by itself? Would adding 2 x 1GB (as bigbird suggested in a post) to fill up Riser B with all 1GB make the setup symmetrical with my 1GB sticks? I'd like to avoid getting rid of my 1GB sticks, just for the fact that I already have them.

Thanks MythicFrost -- OWC is the ram I'm looking to buy!

That's something new I learned -- thanks!

11. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Now I can't quite remember the name, but 2 and 4GB modules are DR, I don't remember what it means, but it means they are faster than 512MB and 1GB modules.

It would possibly slow down your system leaving the two 1GB's in.
    Optionally to get rid of them, you could send them to OWC for a rebate I think, you might get $10 per 1GB stick, I'm not sure.

No worries, enjoy :)

Kind Regards

12. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

As a rule of thumb you try to run identical configs in both risers, if this is impossible try to keep the lowest position identical and have the deviations in the higher positions.

You start with the biggest sticks in the lowest position.

You do not use single sticks but pairs in every riser.

If you cannot match a 2GB stick in riser A with a 2GB in riser B match it with with two 1 GB sticks.

By sticking closest to these rules you get the best speed. Also check the following chart posted by Tesselator. The risers are pictured upside down here. The side with the holes is upside where stick 4 is located.

[​IMG]

My 12 GB 2006 was looking this way.

Riser A

1- 2 GB
    2- 2 GB
    3- 1 GB
    4- 1 GB

Riser B

1- 2 GB
    2- 2 GB
    3- 1 GB
    4- 1 GB

I originally started with some 250 and 500 MB sticks but I sold them to have a cleaner config. I kept all 1 GB sticks and bought only 2 GB sticks. Eventually I would have gotten rid of the 1 GB sticks as well.

13. kamek thread starter macrumors newbie

According to this diagram, the 10GB arrangement I had mentioned before is possible but not ideal, correct? Does this mean that a 12GB arrangement of 4 x 2GB and 4 x 1GB is better than 6 x 2GB? I think that my best option right now is to run 12GB like how you had your old MP setup since I want to keep my two 1GB sticks, and I'm not sure if OWC has single 2GB sticks available. Just out of curiosity, what is the big downside of leaving two slots under a matched pair empty (for example, 10GB arrangement of 4 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB)?

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The more DIMMS you have and the bigger capacity they are the more memory bandwidth you get. 6 DIMMs offer about 90% of the memory bandwidth of 8. You max it out with 8 DIMMs in any combination. You also want similar overall capacities on each riser.

15. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If I were you I would not buy any more 1 GB sticks to match my old 12 GB config. I would rather go to 12 GB on 2 GB sticks or try to add the 1 GB sticks for a 14 GB config as shown in Tesselator's table. I mean this is not a very much researched issue. So unless you benchmark it yourself you will never know.

16. kamek thread starter macrumors newbie

But then won't this arrangement go against what you've been saying this whole time about having matched ram on the top and bottom risers?

17. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hi Kamek

May I suggest all matching modules or either 2GB or 4GB for a total of 8, 16 or 32 GB?

If you can't afford 2 or 4GB modules, just get more of the 1GB ones and go with 4 or 8GB total in 4 or 8 slots. You can probably get some on eBay from people that upgraded theirs and are selling the originals.

Mix and match will function but will cut down the system speed. I learned this on my MP1.1. 9GB in six slots is way slower than 8GB in four.

On a 1st or 2nd gen MP, four or eight slots with matching modules gets you into quad-channel mode and much greater speed.

BTW, I sold my original modules on eBay after pulling them out. A lot of other people do this also. My 2GB sticks are all iRam from Newegg.

This made a far larger difference than upgrading the video card.

Have fun,
    Keri

18. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I guess it depends of the priorities you set. If speed is top you should not use the 1 GB sticks. If capacity is all you max out the 14 GB.

19. kamek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for the help! After doing some more research, I came to realize that the answers were in front of me this whole time...

According to barefeats.com's tests (http://www.barefeats.com/harper3.html):
    10GB will run best with 6 x 1GB + 2 x 2GB as opposed to 2 x 1GB + 4 x 2GB.
    12GB will run best with 4 x 1GB + 4 x 2GB as opposed to 6 x 2GB.
    14GB will run best with 2 x 1GB + 6 x 2GB
    16GB will run best with 8 x 2GB as opposed to 4 x 4GB

and

OWC even has their own test reports at http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Benchmarks/macproearly08ram/article.html

All ram speed questions are answered in those two links! :D

20. kamek thread starter macrumors newbie

...and I've decided to go with the 14GB config of 6 x 2GB and 2 x 1GB! ;)

21. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I'm running 14GB with 2x4GB + 6x1GB. System came with 2GB, I ordered another 2GB (then, for some reason, another 2GB came later for free). So when I decided to go further, I jumped with 8GB so I didn't need to throw out any memory.