Best RAM to upgrade my Mac

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
So I am looking to buy this macbook( don't need all the retina and that) http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD101LL/A? and was thinking about upgrading the ram and was wondering what is the best/cheapest ram to use or that you recommend? I do not want to pay the apple prices to upgrade it when I can do it on my own( another reason I am choosing this MBP)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So I am looking to buy this macbook( don't need all the retina and that) http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD101LL/A? and was thinking about upgrading the ram and was wondering what is the best/cheapest ram to use or that you recommend? I do not want to pay the apple prices to upgrade it when I can do it on my own( another reason I am choosing this MBP)
Any RAM from a reputable RAM company (crucial, kingston, mushkin, patriot...) will perform just like RAM should.

Buy whichever one is cheapest/on sale from one of those companies, and you'll be golden.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
newegg, amazon or even right from crucial are all good options.

The number 1 brands are crucial, gskill, corsair, among others

How much are you looking to get? 8GB?

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
newegg, amazon or even right from crucial are all good options.

The number 1 brands are crucial, gskill, corsair, among others

How much are you looking to get? 8GB?
Yes I figured might as well just max it out. Probably will never need it but good to have just in case.

Premium1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Well the max is 16GB, so 8GB is not maxing it out, just fyi
It says 8gb on the apple site( or that is the highest it will go) you sure 16gb is the max for that model?

Last edited:

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
How can I make sure that it is the 2012 model or what one it is just to make sure?
Well I checked and the model number in your link to the Apple website was MD101LL/A and that is indeed the 2012.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
The best RAM is the one that works and is cheap. Get good review brands and look for lowest price in your city/country.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Crucial 2x 8GB on sale now, Newegg Canada $86.99

I am not sure where you are located, but I will 'assume' perhaps USA.. and if so, in Canada, Newegg has a lot of 'DDR3 1600' options, including a Crucial 2x 8GB Kit at a crazy-low price of $86.99 right now, I would suppose might be similar there..

I have put that in a MBP for a friend of mine, and it works flawlessly, as does the 16GB of Mushkin that I have in my 2011 MBP.. it was a LOT more $$ then as well, although seems all RAM is way up in price lately, which makes the Crucial Kit stand out a lot!!

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Even the 2011 models will run 16GB.

Installation, the best ram you can get, and benchmarks to back that up: