Best ram upgrade for my mid 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by D-a-a-n, Dec 15, 2011.

1. D-a-a-n macrumors regular

Hi all,

The title of my thread says it all. At the moment I'm running a bit slow at (4GB), because of parallels running windows xp aside...
    I want an upgrade because I'm experiencing a lot of paging... :(

-----
    About this mac:

Your Mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts
    a 1067 MHz DDR3 memory module.

All memory slots are currently in use.

4GB installed
    -----

My plan is to buy 2x4GB modules...

So my questions are:
    - what brand should I buy?
    - where should I buy it for the best price?
    - would it make a difference if I'd pick memory modules with a higher frequency, or is it even possible...
    - what should I do with the 2x2GB modules I have now? :D

Thanks in advance!

2. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Brand-wise I'd probably go Kingston or Crucial, but I'm no expert. Last week I got 8GB of Crucial RAM for my MBP though, and it's working pretty good so far.

I got mine from amazon, it was pretty much the same price as from crucial direct. Where are you? In the states, people are probably gonna go for new egg, or owc. Like I said, mine was from amazon, and was about £30, which is pretty awesome.

I'd google to check. I know that you can't put 1333mhz stuff in the 13inch 2010 model, it won't work without having to flash the ram chips to run at a lower speed, the EFI won't automatically downclock it. I found this out the hard way:). For some reason, earlier models will, and newer one run at the faster speed anyway. Not sure about the bigger versions of the MBP, but 13inch, 2010, and 1333mhz ram is a no-no.

Keep em as spares? Sell em on ebay? Give em to a mate with an older computer with less ram?

3. D-a-a-n thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm from europe, have a 15'' model, and I must say 30£ for 8GB is a very nice price :). I'll check into kingston and crucial prices...

I wouldn't want to downclock my ramspeed, the higher price tag, it would be all for nothing :)

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Any 1066mhz memory. I prefer GSKILL or CORSAIR. Even CRUCIAL.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I purchased mine from OWC partly because they have a great guarantee - if you have a problem with your ram they send out a replacement before the old ram is returned. But, if you are in Europe it might not be a good option. Crucial an Kingston are excellent names and Amazon is a good place to shop for good prices.

I think you will be much happier with 8GB as I often use more than 4gb on mine. Plus prices are great these days - I paid 3x the current price one year ago

6. D-a-a-n thread starter macrumors regular

7. DoghouseMike macrumors regular