Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLucas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Indiana
I have a 2.2 ghz macbook as shown in my sig and i was wondering if it would be better to buy a 4gb stick, and make the ram 5gb or buy 2x2 gb and make it 4gb.
Price isn't to much different on the options, both around $70

everymac.com says the macbook can support up to 6gb, although apple says only 4.

what would be best?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
It can support up to 6 GB (I have the same MacBook, got 6 GB running happily in it). It's really your call... if you think you'll need more than 4 GB, get the 4 GB stick. Most people don't need more than 4 GB, though.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Always install memory as matched pairs for the best performance. If you use the Crucial memory scanner, it'll show you what the best upgrades are.

Ram is so cheap at the moment, but to be honest more than 4gb in a macbook is a bit over the top in my opinion.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Always install memory as matched pairs for the best performance.

Matched pairs are great, but they don't always help performance. You can get anywhere from no benefit to a huge benefit, depending on what you're running. Most parts of the OS commonly used will get a slight benefit. Don't get me wrong, I think 4 GB is likely to be the right amount for the OP.

That being said, my MacBook with 6 GB RAM (therefore no matched pair) is positively zippy, the lack of a matched pair seems to have no detrimental effect.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I've always considered the matched pair advantage to be on a equal amount of RAM basis. In other words, a 2+2 configuration would have an advantage over a 4+0 configuration. That being said, 5GB total would be better than 4GB total.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.