Best Reasonably Priced Control Surface With Audio Input?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Lycanthrope, May 7, 2009.

1. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Hi Folks

Time has come to invest in a control surface for Logic - I also want it to have audio inputs, 8 would do and midi as well.

What would you all recommend within a mid-price range? Will be used for recording multi-track to my MBP at band rehearsals, otherwise for home recording and production/editing.

I won't use it for proper recording sessions, we have a semi-professional studio at our disposal for that.

Is there any tangible benefits of Firewire over USB these days - yes the data rate is higher but do you notice it in reality?

Cheers
    Dave

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Tascam FW-1082 Hands down. Best value for what you're looking for ;)

3. NineSpine macrumors newbie

Can you be a little more specific with what "mid" means in price range to you? I consider mid price range to be around $1000 for something like that, but you might consider it to be $200.

Also, what do you mean by control surface? Do you mean something with faders? Motorized faders? Are gain controls enough? Just 8 inputs or 8 preamps?

If you intent to actually use all 8 of those inputs, or really more than 2 at a time, then Firewire is non-negotiable. The difference you will notice is that it will record more tracks, while USB wont.

The Tascam isn't a bad unit, but it might not meet your needs as well as something else that someone could recommend with a little more info.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Does it all need to be in one box? For example why not a stand along audio interface and then buy a sepoorate control surface? You have a few more options that way. But maybe you want to cut down the number of cables?

5. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well by mid-price I suppose I'm more referring to the equipment that's already considered decent but not over the top. I don't really know the price ranges but for instance the Tascam mentioned above for €650 fits my perception of that region.

Well I'm not adverse to separate devices - if it means a more portable audio interface then that's useful because I can easier take it to the rehearsal room with my MBP for recording there.

I don't see the point of motorized faders so not really interested in that.

I want to capture rehearsals in multitrack - 8 tracks is enough, no need for phantom power but it's not a bad idea to have this for the future. We have a Boss BR-1600 at our disposal which I can use for tracking but to be honest it's a total bitch to export AIFF out of so I would prefer to capture directly into Logic.

At home I don't need so many inputs, just one or two here for myself to dub for recording ideas etc, most stuff I do there tends to be midi.

So I want to record up to 8 tracks simultaneously and I want a device that makes using Logic easier as I find doing everything on the screen rather cumbersome.

Edit: looking at the Tascam FW-1082 it seems pretty much what I was thinking of, but maybe there are other similar products from other companies that are better. Maybe a digital display is useful, maybe, not sure TBH...

6. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, now I've done a bit of reading I understand the need for motorized faders - pretty obvious really, doh!

And looking at reviews of the FW-1082 it does look like it fits my needs, although there are no pan pots which is a bit strange, no?

7. NineSpine macrumors newbie

The point of motorized faders is that they will always be at the correct placement. Every time you load up your program, you will need to manually set those faders as close as you can to what the tracks are set at if they aren't motorized. It's such a pain in the ass that I honestly find non-motorized faders to be a complete waste of time. If a fader isn't motorized, Id rather just use the mouse.

I would recommend getting a unit without faders for that same cost, because that money will go toward better preamps and maybe some more useful features.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Are there any controllers w/ motorized faders that aren't audio interfaces? I've got a Duet I use w/ Logic and would find something w/ 8 faders and a few knobs useful. Anything out there that is made for Logic specifically or works really well with it?

9. NineSpine macrumors newbie

THe Presonus Faderport isn't EXACTLY what you are asking for, but it's dirt cheap and once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly useful.

10. CalumC macrumors regular

I'll throw the Alesis IO26 into the ring, 8 mic/preamp ins, 16 tracks of ADAT expansion, multiple outs. Not a control surface though. Motorized faders are a little unnecessary imo, i guess its handy if you automate lots.

11. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Mackie Control Universal - works great with Logic. Used ones go on ebay for about $450 now

Behringer BCF2000
    Euphonix makes one too

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I know the question isn't directed to me, but Yeah.. 'Mid' price for me, would be approximately £2000~2500 (UK£). Therefore, if I was buying, I'd be tempted for the 003 but i'm a PT fan.

13. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

PT fan? Porcupine Tree?? :)

Thanks for the replies, I still think the Tascam is my best option. I've seen them in The States for $450 ex-demo, that's half the price than the € ones here so worth looking at the shipping cost.