Best receiver/amplifier for the money?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm buying a receiver for my theater system. It'll be hooked up to my 720p projector, which has all kinds of inputs (HDMI, component, composite and VGA to be exact).

I don't need any of those fancy multi-channel receivers with included CD/DVD players that also washes my dishes. I just want a simple receiver that can push out LOUD sound (a 100 maximum... or a 150 would be nice if I can afford it).

I'm nowhere near wealthy, and so would like to get this on the cheap. Good quality equipment mind, but not necessarily the latest (eBay is an option).

Any recommendations?

2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

It would be easier if we had an idea of your budget.

"LOUD sound" is not really related to the advertised 'wattage' of an amplifier so don't get confused there (if that's what you mean by 100 or 150).

What speakers do you have?

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

By 100 or 150, I mean the maximum you can crank it up to (Db).

My budget is $200.

Speakers? I am gonna just have a subwoofer. Yeah, that's it.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That won't work. :eek:

You will need at least a pair of normal speakers to go with the sub. The subwoofer only outputs low frequency sound.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe he just wants to destroy nearby buildings with the vibrations. :)

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

This guy is correct.

I don't care about sound, I just want to feel it.

7. KT322 macrumors newbie

Well, most home theater subwoofers are powered (include their own amplifier) and run off the subwoofer output (line level) of the receiver. If you truly intend on only adding a subwoofer to your existing sound setup (TV speakers?), it wouldn't matter how powerful your receiver is. Focus on selecting a powered subwoofer with ample power (compare RMS wattage) and low frequency excursion (< 25 Hz for deep theatrical sound). Most likely, the subwoofers that fulfill this criteria will be quite large in size (> 10" woofer). Some budget manufacturers to consider are: Hsu Research, Velodyne, Outlaw, Klipsch.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you can handle not having a remote, look on craigslist for some vintage 70s equipment. If you look long enough you should be able to find a nice marantz or harman/kardon and some great old speakers for under $200. The wattage output won't be as high on paper, but a 50w stereo from the 70s will be louder than a 100w stereo today. In the 70s, 100 watts meant the amplifier had to be able to pump 100 watts into both channels continuously for an hour. Today, 100 watts means the amplifier has to be able to produce 100 watts into one channel for a split second. Vintage is the way to go!

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

So I can just get a subwoofer and that's it? I plan to get a 12"-15" one, so I should be set then?