Best recommended Camera under 1k

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tpavur, May 30, 2011.

1. tpavur macrumors regular

Looking for something that is very versatile however I mainly take photos with no video use, I want the ability to have a camera that is easy to use yet has some advanced features that I can learn to use. Also if you could recommend the best place to purchase as well, the camera will be used to take pictures of the family as well as vacation photos. The camera I have been using is a cannon G11

2. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Adorama or B&H Photo/Video are the most reputable dealers online and often have the best prices. Adorama carries Canon refurbished gear (which some claim gets better Q/A attention than new) and offer a full 1 year warranty on them.

For example, this is a great deal on a 2Ti (refurbished)...
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT2IKR.html

Another interesting offer is this refurbished 60D with an 18-135 lens (a more pro body than the T2i and a more versatile if not better quality lens for just a bit over your budget)...
    http://www.adorama.com/ICA60DK1R.html

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

There is no "best camera," just like there's no "best car," or "best idea." There are cameras which are suited for certain things- but without a lot more information, it's difficult to say what would work for you- for instance, what do you not like about your current camera? What do you like about it? What sort of family/vacation photos? In what light? What research have you done? What features interest you? What are you willing to carry? What are you willing to learn? What aren't you willing to carry? What aren't you willing to learn?

Paul

6. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I'd say a rebel and some lenses maybe the 18 - 55 kit lens, 55 - 250 and maybe a 50 mm prime. Maybe get a hot shoe flash and barring some bits and bobs your good to go, with a pretty flexible set up that will cover most situations.

You can then start to see what areas you like and invest more as and when you see the need.

I'm sure nikon have their equivilents.

7. tpavur thread starter macrumors regular

what about the 60D or T3i? are these just newer models?

8. tpavur thread starter macrumors regular

OK it looks like i'm going to go with the T2i, I like the features as well as price that it is at; where would be the best place to buy this? the link that was posted did not come up for me.

My other question is, what would be a great take everywhere lens? typical photos include nature, theme parks (character shots with my little one), places like the Philippines where I will be shooting everything from volcanos to building to people, there will be very few fast action shots for the next 3-5 years. I need the ability to zoom in and capture faces as well as zoom out to capture vast landscapes in all lighting conditions. Vibration reduction would be a huge plus.

9. c1phr macrumors 6502

Adorama or Amazon are generally pretty good (both will often bundle the camera with a UV filter or some SD cards). And with Canon, vibration reduction is called Image Stabilization and abbreviated with an "IR" in the lens name.

For the two below, you can't link off Adorama so you will have to type the item number into the search bar on the left side of their site.

While the standard kit lens will work: 4462B003

I prefer the lens that comes with this one as my walk-around: 4462B005

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I own a T3i and really like it a lot. I'm a n00b to the DLSR world so this is a "perfect" entry level model for me despite what lots of other people tend to think about this model. The T1i, T2i and T3i are, essentially, the same albeit with minor updates to each of them. I'll probably use the HD video on my T3i a bit but not too much. It is nice though that it's available.

As you're looking mainly for photo, and not video, perhaps the 60D might suit you better. It's only a ~$100 more than the T3i and, from what I hear, is better suited at photos than the T3i is. The T3i seems to be hovering in that limbo realm where purists see no point in this model while n00b's, like me, find it perfect as an entry level DLSR. Had I known, or done some more research, I'd probably would've gotten the 60D but the price I paid for the T3i was just too good to pass up.

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

You can probably score a 50D for $500 used, maybe even with a kit lens.

Add in a 50 f/1.8 and a 70-200 f/4L (All used, Craigslist is your friend) and your looking at a more than capable set up for just over $1,000.

You could even settle for a 40D for even cheaper while being almost as "good".

I am always weary of suggesting Rebel series cams when you can get a used "xxD" series for even cheaper.

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If this link doesn't work for you, go to Adorama.com and search for ICADRT2IKR...
    http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT2IKR.html

The 18-55 kit lens that comes with this camera is highly regarded for it's performance for the price. It covers a decent range of focal lengths and includes image stabilization.

I would suggest shooting with that and evaluating over time where you find it lacking and then look at lens options to fill the gaps in your shooting.

13. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

Canon T2i, T3i
    Nikon D3100, D5100
    Pentax K-r, K-7

All good cameras under $1000. If you plan on upgrading to full frame, might as well start your investment with Canon or Nikon. Think of buying a camera as buying into a system. I'd look into lenses for corresponding cameras that appeal to you. Canon and Nikon have more lenses to offer. On the other hand, Pentax has "unique" lenses which will all be stabilized with their in-body shake reduction.