Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Anybody ? Just interested in tapping into any considered opinions that may be lurking around this site. Based on existing threads I am targetting the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5 SATA but would anybody disagree (Anything newer on the market since?) or how about the 640GB, 750GB and 1TB versions of the same drive? :eek:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
First of all, are you upgrading because of lack of speed or space? If you want speed, get SSD or 7200rpm drive but if you're seeking for valuable but big HD, get the biggest one you can

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
If you need the highest capacity, go for the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB. If speed is what you desire, go for the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
First of all, are you upgrading because of lack of speed or space? If you want speed, get SSD or 7200rpm drive but if you're seeking for valuable but big HD, get the biggest one you can

Sounds by the choices the OP listed would suggest he's after size. I'd go for the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB. I'm gonna get this drive in March once my warrentee expires. You won't notice a real life speed difference on a 7200rpm drive. Any drives that are bigger than 640GB at this point are larger than the standard 9.5mm spec. Cheers.

hundert

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Hi

my WD Scorpio Blue 500 arrived Saturday.
I spent weeks to figure out which to buy. WD wins most tests over other hdds, costs the same as competitors (in its speed category)

Other reasons I bought WD were newegg.com user reviews. Seems to be the best available laptop hd.

And I did not by a 7200 drive because it is expensive. Probably makes more noise too, but that would not bother me.
I did not buy a larger one, say 640, because, again, expensive. And larger hdds had worse stats in some tests as I remember. Do additional research yourself too though. Use Tomshardware com guide (dont use charts for hdds, search for articles)

John

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010

Guys I will do the classic and sit on the fence so a combo of speed and size with the emphasis on size. I am going for a new MBP (hopefully) or a "alternative" in the weeks ahead but intend to keep my present MBP running.

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Hi

my WD Scorpio Blue 500 arrived Saturday.
I spent weeks to figure out which to buy. WD wins most tests over other hdds, costs the same as competitors (in its speed category)

Other reasons I bought WD were newegg.com user reviews. Seems to be the best available laptop hd.

And I did not by a 7200 drive because it is expensive. Probably makes more noise too, but that would not bother me.
I did not buy a larger one, say 640, because, again, expensive. And larger hdds had worse stats in some tests as I remember. Do additional research yourself too though. Use Tomshardware com guide (dont use charts for hdds, search for articles)

John

Thanks....anymore

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Ya, get a 500GB. They cost the same as 7200rpm 320GB drives but are more dense and obviously have more storage. I think they are a bette compromise. That said ,if you can afford it, get a 640GB drive. THose will probably be even faster than a 7200rpm 320GB. I owuld like to see some benchmarks though.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
i think you got pretty well rounded advice. i'd hold off on SSD for now, especially if its size you're after.
theyre nice, but honestly still alittle too high; unless of course price is of no concern.

but I'd definitely second the 640GB notebook drive. the price flexes around from 90 ~ 119 and even then is still a great deal compared to not to long ago a 250 was in that range.

i have one in a 13" and soon to replace most other notebook drives.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.