Best Recording software for a Mac Mini.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Haifisch86, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Haifisch86 macrumors newbie

Haifisch86

Hey everyone,

I am a musician looking to utilize my mac mini for light recording (demo tracks, instrumental guitar, etc.).

I am wondering what the best software to record with on a mac is.

Thanks everyone! I know it's a broad question, but I want all your personal opinions on what works best for you!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I am wondering what the best software to record with on a mac is."

Did it come with GarageBand pre-installed? If so, give that a try. It's not "the best" (in terms of what "pay for" apps offer), but it's still good (particularly the AU effects).

If you'd like to try something else, my recommendation is "Cubase Essentials" by Steinberg. Quite powerful, GREAT editing features, and relatively easy to learn (when contrasted with something like Apple's own "Logic", which is UN-easy to learn!).

You're going to need an interface to do much tracking. I suggest that you give Echo Audio products a good look-over. I'd recommend the "AudioFire4" interface, a very good box with plenty of inputs and very good mic preamps.

For mics, I've been using CAD products and like them (my favorite is the e300-2 mic), but I've also heard _very nice_ compliments regarding the Shure "KSM" line of large-diaphragm condenser mics. The KSM-32 looks to be a good one, particularly for voice and acoustic instruments.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yep, most vox i record are through that mic. not always brilliant, but it never sucks.

4. Haifisch86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haifisch86

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!

I went to college for Producing and Audio Engineering, so I've had experience on Pro Tools and Logic.

Although, I have been really interested in using Cubase, as the other guitarist in my band uses that specifically to record our stuff. It has an amazing set of plug ins as well!

Once again, thank you for your input. Cheers!

5. Papanate macrumors regular

I'm a big fan of going with what you know...so Logic Pro would be my recommendation. Also the integration with the Apple OS is pretty seamless.

Of course the compatibilty with your guitarist might be a consideration...but not much if it were me.

6. Haifisch86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haifisch86

That's very true.

He uses a PC as well, so we'll see how well that integrates haha. I've been trying to get him to purchase a mac, because EVERYTHING is easier and built with a simplistic mindset.

Anyways...I do dig Logic! It's a great application to work in.

What are you running, Pap?

7. sfals macrumors newbie

I would suggest you look at Logic Express.... runs well, is the lighter version and can always upgrade if needed ;)

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Although, I have been really interested in using Cubase"

Have you checked out the "Cubase Essentials" package?

It sports a feature list that is _close to_ what the "full version" ($500) offers, but the price is 'WAY lower.

Even has an autotune plugin....

Of course, being a "Mac forum", you are going to hear "Logic" again and again. I found it unwieldy and difficult. NOTHING out there compares to Cubase when it comes to audio editing and processing. Moving audio clips around, selecting them for gain changes, normalizing, etc., is as easy as selecting words in your word processor.

Just my opinion....

9. kolax macrumors G3

Think you'd be surprised by GarageBand. It's ideal for light recording. Surprisingly powerful for a free suite that's bundled with your Mac.

10. Papanate macrumors regular

Logic Pro Audio 9 with Waves Mercury, Native Instrument's Kontak, Guitar Rig, B4, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, EZ and Superior Drummer and a few other plugs.

Everything was brought over from my PC rigs running Nuendo (except Logic of course). And IMO most apps have become immensely easier to use on the MAC rigs.
    I do love Nuendo still...it's a wonderful app to work on post material.

However in my new world I have Logic and Final Cut - both of which have sped up my work flow - and in the real world that means better revenue streams for me and my company.