Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
I just got a OWC Elite 1TB HDD and its epic.

I have been using time machine to regularly back up all my stuff. I don't really care for time machine nor will I ever use its special stuff. I simply want my information back up on a semi-regular basis (maybe once a day TOPS or once every few days). Time Machine backs up every ****ing hour and its incredibly annoying.

Anyone have any tips for stable, great AUTO back up software?

Thanks!

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Same as above, I do prefer SuperDupper and would add LaCie's SilverKeeper, google it... I use it to backup my home folder. Since you are clever enough to even ask that question.. learn this... you need more then just one backup method and like so much of life, more is better. Good luck.:apple:

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
You can get the app TimeMachineEditor...

It lets you change the backup schedule.

Capture d’écran 2010-04-25 à 15.13.48.png

You can choose the frequence (from hourly to monthly), the day and the time. Here I have it weekly.

(Don't question the German language... if your system is in english, then the app will be too.)

On another note, you can do as I do: power off the drive when you don't use it. Consumes less electricity, and when you want to back up, press the power button, wait for the drive to mount and back up. Simple. You get a pop up after 15 days without back up, but that's not a big problem.

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Or just set Time Machine to back up manually. That's what I do, unless I'm working on really valuable stuff I can't afford to lose. So I just run Time Machine on demand, once a week or every few days.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Or just set Time Machine to back up manually. That's what I do, unless I'm working on really valuable stuff I can't afford to lose. So I just run Time Machine on demand, once a week or every few days.

How do you set it to back up manually? Just turn it off and then on?

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Have you considered online backup? I have been using Mozy for around a year now (mozy.com) and it is great for my needs. I backup around 80GB of information, so the first backup takes a very long time, but subsequent ones are quick. It backs up on my schedule (I set it to backup only when it is idle and twice a day) and it is very cheap. If you listen to Sean Hannity, there is some sort of discount code available (I think it tells you at mozy.com/hannity/).

Carbonite is a similar service, although I have not used it. I think there is a promotion code "RUSH" (Limbaugh) that also gives you a discount.

Mozy is a great price and my family subscribes with three computers (2 PCs and 1 Mac).

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
You can get the app TimeMachineEditor...

It lets you change the backup schedule.

View attachment 223708

You can choose the frequence (from hourly to monthly), the day and the time. Here I have it weekly.

(Don't question the German language... if your system is in english, then the app will be too.)

On another note, you can do as I do: power off the drive when you don't use it. Consumes less electricity, and when you want to back up, press the power button, wait for the drive to mount and back up. Simple. You get a pop up after 15 days without back up, but that's not a big problem.

Yeah, too bad I use this program and Time Machine just continues to back up whenever the **** it wants i.e ever hour. I messed around with the intervals 4 times and it still does it hourly. ****ing annoying.

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Yup, Harryhood, I keep Time Machine turned off in System Preferences. It put its own icon in my Finder's menu bar (upper right on desktop, near Airport and volume icons), so to back up I simply go to Time Machine's greyed out icon and select "Back Up Now" whenever I choose. Totally easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.