Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have liked my mac, and I like OS, but the one thing that has been kind of frustrating for me anyway, is there simply not enough USB ports to plug in my devices. I have also had data loss, in part because there were not enough ports to accommodate my external hard drives, and have the backup hard drives to them plugged in as well. It became a pain to have to eject, and unplug and plug in different hard drives for different needs because there were not enough ports.

I have had a USB hubs before, I once had a 7 port hub and 1 or 2 of the ports suddenly stopped working, so now I do not entirely trust them.

I need something that is reliable, for my portable external hard drives.

Another stratagy I have thought of, is to get a hub, and use less critical thinngs to use them with? maybe my keyboard and trackpad into the hub, and this would free up 2 more for external hard drives. I feel safest with my external hard drives plugged directly into my macs USB ports.

I am using a cMP 5,1 with macOS 10.13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.