Best Reliable Used Car for $2000 ??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fab5freddy, Mar 18, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I am looking to buy a used car and am looking
    to spend Max $ 2000.

What are some of the best reliable brands and makes
    that i can get for $ 2000 ?

thanks !

2. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Reliable and $2000 do not often go hand in hand. I am sure if you shop around you can get a car though. Look at Kia's from 2001 or 2002. It might get you where you are going for a few years. But don't count on much for a $2000 car.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Honda Accord. My mom's old '92 still runs with no problem. She doesn't use it but we take it for a spin every three months or so to keep the parts 'fresh.'

They sell pretty cheap too if you look before 2002

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have an '07 KIA, and love it dearly, but I would not go back to pre-Hyundai days. Asking for trouble.

Yep, the 90's were made better than today's, IMO.

As long as it passes safety/emissions, and has had a timing belt change lately, you're good to go.

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I had a '95 Buick Skylark that I bought for $2000 out of high school. It still runs actually.
    You are probably better off buying from a private seller (more bang for the buck), but make sure that it hasn't been in any accidents. Thats all the help I can give.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

A bike.

Buy a used accord with service records. That's basically the only option for reliable. A camry is another option, but they're usually a little more pricey. Spend the $50 and get a pre purchase inspection.

7. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

THanks for the replies.
    I am looking at Hondas and Toyotas now.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

In my experience, the big three for reliability in a used car are Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. I've had both an Accord and a Maxima last me well over 225,000 miles. In fact they would probably still be running, but I wrecked one and a hail storm took out the other. As mentioned already your best bet is to try and find a private seller. Craigslist, Autotrader, and your local paper are all good places to look. I hope you find what you need.