Best Remote Desktop app

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ccrgt, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ccrgt macrumors member

I have an iPP and an iMac late 2012. I would like to be able to view my files remotely when I am away from home, using my iPP to log into my Mac. I downloaded Splashtop personal but find it can only access my Mac when it has the sleep/hibernate options disabled. I prefer to have my Mac sleep/hibernate as I thought this was best for it, but maybe I can just leave that feature disabled?
    I have tried everything - I have made sure I have the wake on lan/net access checked when I keep sleep/hibernation feature enabled but when I am away from home, I can't access my Mac. I also have my Mac accessing the Internet wirelessly, not with a cable. Is there an alternative to Splashtop where I can leave my sleep/hibernate features on? Or is there a way around this?

2. Eltina macrumors newbie

Eltina

I use Teamviewer. But I don't think it is okay to leave sleep/hibernate features on.
    I find when the Mac sleeps, the Internet will be down as well.

3. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

I use chrome Remote Desktop, however all hibernation features are off, the device (rMBP) is permanently on with screen turned dimmed completely, whilst I access it remotely using the iPad.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Logmein, but I'm not sure if it still needs a subscription.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I use Desktop Connect. I left my MacBook on sleep but plugged in. You also need to enable Wake on Lan on your MacBook.

6. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Following this as well as I am in the market for an IPP and this is a necessary feature that I need to connect to my iMac desktop as well.

I have heard all of the options listed above but haven't had an opportunity to test. Splash top has gotten some great reviews around here. I would just need to leave the mac awake and dim the screen it seems as the best option. Not sure if it would "hurt" the device in the long run but something to consider I guess.

7. LouisLoh macrumors regular

8. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Does it allow you to wake a mac if using an iPad pro?

9. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Screens, for sure. Best that I have used.

10. ccrgt thread starter macrumors member

Loving the responses so far, very helpful. Do the apps like Screens, logmein, desktop connect allow sleep/hibernate feature or does it have to be disabled? is it fine to leave my Mac permanently on (sleep/hibernate disabled) with screen dimmed? Does this impact my Mac in any way?

11. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I am not sure if it has the ability to wake from sleep, I will check that tonight and follow up. I typically just keep my pro plugged in with the screen dimmed. I am sure this can't be great for it, but I don't think it would have long term damage.

12. ccrgt thread starter macrumors member

DNichter, I'd appreciate you checking, thanks.

13. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

I believe Splashtop allows WoL but as with most requires the potential for port forwarding.

Splashtop and TeamViewer have both been tried but with my internet I can't adjust port setting therefore WoL isn't an options for me.

14. ccrgt thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I really really like the Splashtop app - of the few recommended ones I have looked at, I like the Splashtop one due to ease of use, set up etc. How do I adjust port settings or how do I use it without disabling sleep features? Any tips?

15. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Unfortunately, using the Screens app does not wake the computer from sleep.

16. ccrgt thread starter macrumors member

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I use Desktop Connect and I have no problem waking up Macs from sleep. Likewise it works when I use the build-in VNC of OSX to remote access one Mac from another. I don't think there is anything special about Desktop Connect. You just need to configure you Mac to wake from LAN.

18. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Wait up splashtop support wol when the comp is completely shut off?

19. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I like Chrome Remote Desktop a lot to access my Mac Mini from my Chromebook, however it does not transmit the sound unfortunately. I leave my Mac Mini on all the time (monitor goes to sleep of course though).

20. RadioGaGa1984, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Another vote for screens. And it wakes my MacBook Pro from sleep just fine.