Best Replacement iPod for Me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rockthecasbah, Jun 7, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

As you may know (because i posted it in some threads before) i was in a car accident last week. Lo and behold we are almost certain, but cannot confirm, my refurbished 5th gen black 60GB iPod was stolen by the people who recovered my car. I was bummed a bit to be out the money i paid but my aunt first day gave me a check for $350 to buy a replacement or (whatever i want).

I have decided because of the length of the current gen iPod's life cycle, the 6Gs must be coming out relatively soon, probably September when the College Deal is done and their inventory of iPods is lower, that i will wait until the 6G iPods come out and upgrade to one of those.

In the meantime, however, i have a yearning for something to fill my iPod needs, and i am unsure of what to replace my beloved full size iPod with. Before this 5th gen i had a 4th gen that i filled up (and sold), so i've been using full size iPods my whole life. I looked at the refurb store at my options but pricing and features have made me unsure what is the best iPod to get to fiddle around with until the 6G is released. Here are my options:
    1. Refurbished Silver Shuffle 1GB - $49, it's so cheap and different from what i have had so it may be more fun to tinker with than a Nano, not the same way you use an iPod with no click wheel or screen... I am worried though that because of how used to the screen i am and having my whole library with me the limitations may be too much.

2. New Shuffle - any color i want - $79, its only $30 more to buy new than refurbished plus i get color choice and a "new" iPod instead of "Refurbished" (though i have no fears about buying refurbished since my last full size was one, just saying price makes it not super to just go refurbished...

3. Refurbished Silver Nano 2GB - $109, a little pricier than i'd like to get because i'll be picking up a new full size rather soon but i wouldn't have to go without a screen and click wheel. Plus an extra GB of storage, 24 hour battery vs 12, i'd have the full iPod experience.

EDIT: 4. If you have a previous gen iPod (3rd, 4th, or 5th only please) you're trying to sell, i will consider that, just send me a PM. It's gotta be cheap so if you want over $75 i'll have to pass.. any condition just be honest about it :p

I feel like if i got a Shuffle i could keep it when i buy my full size 6G and not be bored or use it in places where i wouldn't want to take a Nano, so it appeals that way, yet a Nano just as equally appeals to me because of t he screen, wheel, and battery.

What would you do and what replacement iPod would you suggest i buy to hold me off until the 6G is released*.

*also bear in mind im a student from a middle class but not rich family so cheaper does have its perks...

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

don't get the shuffle. i bought it because it was small and awesome looking, and did i mention small? but when u have 200 songs on there, u really start missing having a screen when u gotta click through every single one. id get the nano, as i have a blue, 4 gig one, and it operates fantasticly, and is completly scratch resistant now adays.

3. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Ya that's the worry i have, that i'll miss the screen and stuff, but i would almost never use it once i got the 6G so thats why i have been shying away from the Nano, that and price being a smidge higher than i'd like to pay for something i'll use for like 3 months.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I have a shuffle (2gen) and it's replaced my 1st gen nano completely. At first it was just a gym nano. But really, all I need is 1gb of music when I'm on the go, even commuting.

I also have a 60gb video iPod, but mostly it sits on the shelf now. I use it when I travel more to watch videos and listen to whatever I want, including audiobooks.

So I'd recommend getting a refurb'd shuffle to tide you over.

5. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

6. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

actually, i would get the 2gb or even the 4gb refurb then sell it when you get your 6th gen ipod. this way, you'll lose out at the most $50 when you sell and you'll have your screen, better battery life and more capacity for 3 months.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

i agree.. or a black, refurb 8 gig :D