Best Replacement Printer for OSX Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spacemac1, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Spacemac1 macrumors newbie

My Canon MX950 printer no longer works with OSX Maverick. What is your recommened replacement printer that will work will OSX Mavericks?
    I have looked at teh Canon MX922 and theMG7120. Any Thoughts?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have an Epson XP-610 that works perfectly with Mavericks.

Two points...it's an inkjet printer, so f you want a laser printer, this ain't it!:p

Epson has not yet supplied it's own scanner software, which they have said will be supplied eventually. However, Image Capture works perfectly with the printer, so there is no problem there.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

MX950 must have some age on it. It is not in Canon's list of supported printers. Probably time to take it to Good Will or Salvation Army for a tax credit.

PIXMA MX Series
    PIXMA MX7600
    PIXMA MX922
    PIXMA MX892
    PIXMA MX882
    PIXMA MX870
    PIXMA MX860
    PIXMA MX850
    PIXMA MX722
    PIXMA MX712
    PIXMA MX700
    PIXMA MX532
    PIXMA MX522
    PIXMA MX512
    PIXMA MX472
    PIXMA MX459
    PIXMA MX452
    PIXMA MX439
    PIXMA MX432
    PIXMA MX420
    PIXMA MX410
    PIXMA MX392
    PIXMA MX372
    PIXMA MX360
    PIXMA MX350
    PIXMA MX340
    PIXMA MX330
    PIXMA MX320
    PIXMA MX310
    PIXMA MX300

We use a HP color laser for day to day printing. To me ink jets are just too slow or printing stuff off the web.

When the wife wants to do images for scrapbooking, she uses a Pixma Pro-100 we got in a club raffle. If we want to do high quality image printing we use our Pixma Pro-1.

4. Bear macrumors G3

From my point of view, Epson can keep their scanning software. Image Capture will be just fine.

How water resistant are the prints from these printers? The Epson printer I have you can basically dip the picture in water right after it's finished printing and the inks won't run.

On the other side of the coin, I have pictures from an HP inkjet that are 10+ years old that a single drop of water will still cause the ink to run.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Brother laser printers work like a charm and can often be found on sale.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why are you pouring water on inkjet prints? Good art prints belong in portfolios or on someone's wall.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I'm not. The demo I saw many years ago from Epson involved them dipping a large print in a tank of water right after the print came out of the printer.

And as for the HP prints, since they were faded and the paper discolored I did a drip test on it because I was curious if it would still run.

Ink that doesn't dry isn't of archival quality. So my question to you still stands, is the Canon ink water resistant? If you have a bad print you did, you could test it.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I love my Canon Pixma MG5220 and MG5320. Both are great and the 5320 has AirPrint. I do not believe they make them anymore, but they work fine in Mavericks. The MX922 uses the same ink as the 5320 and 5220, which is widely available by third parties for really low rates.