Best resale option?.... 3G or3GS?....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MvpEmmitt, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MvpEmmitt macrumors newbie

I dont know if this situation would be frowned upon, but I figured "What the Hell!"

I have a family plan with 3 upgrades available. I want one for me, and was thinking of keeping one for backup in case of loss or damage.

As for the other, I was thinking of selling to regain some of my costs to upgrade.

My question(s) is(are) Would I get more (Profit) out of buying a regular 3G and selling it on eBay or Craigslist or would I make more profit with the 3GS? My first thought would be 3GS. But I (and potential buyers) would have to put out $300 plus for it, whereas I would only have to put out $80 to $130 for the 3G. So If the profit would be similar, it would make more sense to spend less money up front.

My concern on the 3G is that the bottom of the market is going to fall out since everybody and their brother will be trying to sell their 3G so they can upgrade.

What do you guys think?

Now, if the 3GS can be unlocked it would be a no brainer to get that one.... I think.? :confused: Is the general consensus that the 3GS will be "unlockable?" OR will it take months and months for the Dev team to crack it?

I look forward to your thoughts/replies on this.

Thanks.

If this type of question or activity is not allowed or frowned upon, moderators, please feel free to delete.

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

3G S is going for upwards of $750 on eBay right now.
    Looks like that's the more profitable one...

3. MvpEmmitt thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would someone pay that much if the unsubsidized price is less than that?

I understand if it is someone with another carrier that wants to unlock and use it, but who knows when it will even be able to be unlocked?

Am I missing something here?....

4. compg318 macrumors regular

Those who do not want to be tied down to AT&T's contracts.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you have three upgrades available and you sell one or two of the phones, what phones will the people on the other lines use? Also, isn't there some claus that you have to have a data plan for a certain period of time? If so, that could seriously eat into any profit you'll see (and I'm not believing that anyone would legitimately pay $750 for a $600 phone).

6. MvpEmmitt thread starter macrumors newbie

But if you pay $599 you arent tied to a contract right?..... Why wouldnt they just buy it for full price online or at the apple store for that price?

Well I would just keep using the original phones. There is no minimum time for the data plan. I talked to customer service and was told if the phone was lost or damaged, I could return to the original phone and drop the data plan.

I have a hard time believing anyone would pay more than $600 for one too.

I thought I saw something about a limit of 3GS of one per household..... is that correct? If so, that would make this question a moot point!

Thanks again.

7. MvpEmmitt thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I found out that there is no limit as long as they are new lines or eligible for upgrades.

What about the resale on the 3GS? Would someone really pay more than the $600 when an unlock isnt available yet? If unlock is available then I would understand T-Mobile users or other sim card providers bidding because they cant buy them without service.

Or could you just walk into a ATT store, pay the unsubsidized price and walk out with it unactivated? ie: having no account. Or do you still have to have ATT as your provider?