Best ReSale Value - 11/13 MBA or 13 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by didactic, Jun 11, 2014.

1. didactic, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

didactic macrumors newbie

Hello,

I tried doing a search for similar topic but didn't find any.

Right now I am debating between purchasing a

11/13" MBA i5, 8gb, 256gb

&

13" rMBP 2.4, 8gb, 256

I am leaning towards the rMBP because of it potentially being easier to fix/upgrade and the screen, but it seems like purchasing either the 11/13 inch MBA might be better for resale especially with the broadwell update at the end of this year or beginning of next.

Seems like people looking for a retina macbook pro would be less looking for a lower speced one while mba people would be getting a higher spec'd one with the portability.

I think I would also get applecare as well with the thought process of resale too.

Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're talking about the 13" non retina model, I'd say that is probably the one that has and will lose most of the market value given he age of the chipset. At least with the MBAs you're dealing with the Haswell chipset.

I'd go with either the 13" MBA or the 13" rMBP because of the screen.

3. didactic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I meant the rMBP. I'll edit he post now.

Yeah for my own uses I think the rMBP would be best. But it seems like the 11 inch (people who dont care as much about the screen and are looking for the portability of the air, would have the best resale value? Because at the time i would resell it 1-2 years from now there will be the 12 inch rmba and all the laptops will have the broadwell processor. So I'm trying to make the comparison to that.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

How could anyone possibly tell you what a computer will be worth two years from now? I would buy the model that suits your needs best today and let tomorrow take care of itself. Otherwise you may end up buying something that you don't like as much only to find out your assumptions about its future value were wrong.

Aside from that, your computer could be broken or stolen during the next two years and then the resale value would be zero. :)

5. didactic thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that no one can predict the future and know the price of the laptop two years form now. But I was hoping to get some advice using the information we have such as the past resale prices for the rMBP and MBA, current prices of both, and future models with broadwell/retina to make a best assumption/guess at what will maintain its value the best.

Hopefully it doesn't get stolen in the next two years :cool: cause that would kill the re-sale-ability of it.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

It is hard to predict sale value because next generation products affect the sales price. For example, the 2012 baseline 13" rMBP went for 1700 dollars, and in 2013 the price was dropped to 1300$. The 2012 model is then based on the cost of the 2013 model. I wouldn't pay more than 900$ for a used 2012 13" rMBP. We cannot predict what price offerings or computers Apple will offer in the next two years. I can tell you that first gen Apple notebooks are typically overpriced, so they will devalue the most. If you are worried about resale value, buy used. They will devalue much slower than any new computer.

Matt

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

My thought (since you asked) is buy whichever best fits your NEEDS.

The three computers are substantially different in various ways (screen resolution, screen type, ports, expansion capability).

Don't forget you're buying the thing to use it for some purpose. Resale is a nice benefit, but shouldn't ever be a primary factor.