Best resale value.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macbuyer7, May 1, 2015.

  1. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

    Apr 23, 2015
    All right boys and girls, I've firmly committed to my decision to get an rMB. The question now is, which model to get! My decision is based entirely on resale value, but I'm not sure which model will put me in the most favourable position come upgrade time (probably a year from now). I've ruled out the 1.3/512 model as I think it's overkill and out of my budget. So it's between the 1.1/256, 1.2/512 and 1.3/256. So what do you guys think? What'll provide the optimal performance and resale value?
  2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

    Sep 12, 2008
    Northumberland, UK
    The 512 will resale for more than the 256, but the difference will be smaller than the additional cost you paid to get the larger model.

    Therefore the 1.1 256 would be better.
  3. Geert76 macrumors 65816

    Feb 28, 2014
    the Netherlands
    Totally agree on the resale value! #
  4. CD3660 macrumors 68040


    Jun 6, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom.
    It's like a car purchase. It's always nice to have those expensive extras but don't expect to recoup the additional cost when it comes to selling it.
  5. cfedu macrumors 65816


    Mar 8, 2009
    Base MB will have the lowest resale value, but have the lowest depreciation. I would get the base!
  6. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    This. You always lose the least amount of money buying base models. For example, the 1.2/8/512 cost $300 more than the base model. In the second hand market that translates to about $150 at most.
  7. junkw macrumors regular

    Jun 25, 2010
  8. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    When consumers are beta testing a product…buy the cheapest model you can to minimize loss. No doubt V2 will be much more desirable.

    Resale value…well if V2 is better, I doubt you will get anywhere close to the cost of even the base mode for V1.

    That's the downside to being an early adopter…you WILL LOSE MONEY. A lot of it.
  9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    If your thinking about resale value in a year, prepare to lose a boat load of money!

    Buy the base model and hope % wise you loss the least.
  10. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Aug 15, 2010
    Buy the model that you want to use and don't worry about the resale value.
  11. Macbuyer7 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 23, 2015
    Lots of good advice here. Just to clarify I'm not really looking to get back my investment here, I just want to make sure that I'll only need 2-300 dollars to upgrade to a machine with slightly better performance when I need to. It seems like 1.3/256 is the worst option, cause most buyers probabaly won't know the difference between 1.1 and 1.3
  12. rajivhifi macrumors member

    Jul 31, 2014
    The base model. I have it and intend to upgrade to a bigger screen (if released). It sufficient for most users, including me.
  13. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    Try no buyers will know the difference. There isn't a lot of value there. If your applications are cpu bound, it's a bad choice of machine. Also if someone is buying a used machine, their purpose is to save money. Otherwise why wouldn't they just purchase the newer model like you? You'll see a lot of people talk up the machine when it comes time to sell it, yet there's a reason they chose to upgrade at that point.

    There are a couple things to consider here. If Apple makes any really impressive improvements or adjusts pricing on the new one, it's going to impact the value. Things you could probably do to tilt it in your favor would be look at refurbished units (likely returns) directly from Apple or open box + mover's coupon at Best Buy. If you're paying the normal price + sales tax and Apple adds significant value to the next version, you may eat a higher loss.
  14. Jiten macrumors 6502a


    Jul 16, 2008
    I agree. More people will probably see more value in the unit with the bigger storage than the one with the higher processor speed.
  15. clyde2801 macrumors 601


    Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    If you're going to upgrade with the next version, you shouldn't eat too much of a loss, especially if you can time it right and sell your 2015 before they introduce the specs on the 2016 model. Then again, you may be without a computer for a while, especially if Apple takes a month or more to roll out v2.*

    Demand for it may even go up for it as they actually make their way into the wild. I've got the only one I've seen in my medium sized city, and I look for them every time I get an overpriced coffee. Right now, I think they only people who are even aware of them are apple enthusiasts.

    In the meanwhile, let us hope and pray does become the new standard for usb so devices and adapters will become cheap and plentiful. That would probably overcome the biggest objection/concern to people coming late to the party. If people can buy the equivalent of the apple super dongle for $30 instead of $79, it will almost become a non issue.

    In 2016, nMB v2 will have the skylake cpu and gpu with some performance gains, a better camera**, and maybe one other software feature that Apple will somehow tie into the new hardware. This, or right before it, would be the time to sell your nMB to minimize loss. Once the specs improve and Apple drops the nMB price to take the place of the discontinued MBA line, good luck finding a buyer.

    *Honestly, I don't know why I'm saying "if" at this point.
    **Because we all know damn good and well that Apple will include a better camera in the next model and hail it as a triumph and a breakthrough. Sandbagging.
  16. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    base being 256 is pretty desirable. Hell just a year, maybe two, ago the stock was 64gb on the 11" air!
  17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You need to buy what will get your job done and not worry so much about getting money back when you sell it. Electronics are not a good investment.
  18. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    yes, but it is still good to know what will keep you from losing the most amount of money. A surprisingly great deal of people on these boards upgrade yearly. If that is something the OP plan on doing, he needs to buy base.
  19. tecnho macrumors 6502

    Apr 13, 2015

    Even as someone waiting for the 1.3, I would have to agree with this statement
  20. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2015
    Mukilteo, WA USA
    Agree with the others. You'll lose the least money with the base model. And it's true for any Macbook model
  21. polee macrumors 6502a


    Jul 22, 2008
    So glad to know this because I bought the base model.
  22. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

    Nov 27, 2013
    I paid $1232 with 10% off at bedbuy and got 20 in a rewards certificate. So say $1212 after tax. I'm not expecting to get more than 1k in reselling it. So that's already a 200 renters fee plus buying a new one. So I don't see how you could only be out 200-300 to upgrade. I'm thinking it's going to be 300-400 difference at the minimum.

    I don't consider use time a loss though. Even if it's a $360 difference to upgrade that's only $30 a month and that works for me. I may keep this base model more than one year though unless they can make a 14 inch that is 2lbs.
  23. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    very good way to look at it. At best, I think $850 is what people can expect. That is if you sell it right when v2 comes out, and that is also assuming it is the same list price of $1299.

    That is based on my experience with buying and reselling base models a year later. Just think, if the new one starts at $1199 or less you may be looking at the $700 price range for resale.
  24. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

    Nov 27, 2013
    850 after eBay fees I can see. 700 no way. People are still asking 630-700 for 2014 base model Airs. These are retina with 8gb ram and 256 SSD. I wouldn't sell till I had the other notebook in hand and at that point i'd expect to get 900 at least. I'm not giving people birthday presents here.
  25. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    If v2 is priced the same, sure $900 is probable, but if it takes the place of the Air and entry level drops to $1199, or dare I say $1099. $900 is going to be hard to get. Also, if skylake really is a massive upgrade to CPU and GPU it could take a bigger hit.

Share This Page