Best Resolution with Mini Displayport 1.1 and Dell P2715Q?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SeaPotato, Feb 14, 2015.

1. SeaPotato macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a popular 27" 4K Dell P2715Q monitor that I would like to connect to my Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook. I am aware I will not be able to achieve 4K resolutions with this (the monitor is the first purchase, a more powerful computer will come next in the future).

Per the Macbook's specs it looks like I should be able to get 2560x1600 out using the mini displayport but when I connect it to the monitor it says the computer is not outputting a video source. After hours of research it sounds like a common conflict - my macbook is outputting using displayport 1.1. but the monitor is expecting 1.2. The solution for many other monitors is to change the monitor to displayport 1.1. but it does not appear there is any way to do that (Dell support hasn't identified a way to do that either).

1. Any ideas on how I can make this work so I can connect the mini displayport from the macbook directly to the mini displayport in on the monitor?

If not:
    2. Whats the maximum resolution I can achieve through some sort of adapter? I'm using Apple's mini displayport to DVI adapter but the best I can get is 1080P. The same I believe would be true if I used a mini displayport to HDMI adapter. I've used a mini displayport to displayport cable but the monitor doesn't seem to recognize the video either.

Any thoughts on how I can achieve a higher resolution than 1080p since it should be possible given the Macbook's specs? Thanks!

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Not sure about the first part, but for DisplayPort to DVI the standard adapter maxes out at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. You would need the more expensive dual link adapter to hit 2560x1600 @ 60Hz in this manner.

3. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

The P2715Q is a gorgeous monitor. If you want a good monitor "in advance of" getting a new upgrade to a computer which will support 4K, then you could do no better for the price.

Right now, your options seem to be:

1. Dual DVI @ 2560x1440, or
    2. HDMI @ 1920x1200