Best Retailer Option?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Sammy's, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Sammy's macrumors member

Any opinions or personal preferences on the best retailer option?

B&H - has the i5 Mini for $999(no sales tax and free shipping) - pros would be the no sales tax but not sure if the return policy is worth it in the slim chance that one would get a defective machine.

Amazon - $999 + sales tax

Best Buy - Will price match with the above + sales tax

Apple Store - I think that somebody mentioned that they price match in store but not sure of that?

Also is Applecare+ best purchased at point of sale or through Apple later?

Thanks

2. F-Train, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

You have 60 days to purchase AppleCare+, in which case you have 38 months of coverage - unless you plan on doing something to your computer in the first 60 days that would not be covered under the standard one year warranty, such as dropping it from a sixth floor balcony onto the street :)

3. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

Good question. If you are ok paying tax, Best Buy or Apple (if they will match, I think they do). I like having a physical store. If you want to avoid tax, B&H is a good retailer, though I am not familiar with their return policy.

4. F-Train, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

B&H does not accept returns on computers. See "Non-returnabe Items" here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp

If Apple will match, which is news to me, this is a no-brainer.

Regardless, I would purchase from Apple. The ease of dealing with Apple stores is worth $100 to me.

5. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

In that case, I would probably pay tax. If it were cheaper at Best Buy and Apple won't match, I would have no issue going there. I have had nothing but positive experiences at my two local Best Buy's.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Sammys wrote:
    "B&H - has the i5 Mini for $999(no sales tax and free shipping) - pros would be the no sales tax but not sure if the return policy is worth it in the slim chance that one would get a defective machine."

Depends on which state you're in.
    B&H is adding sales tax to items shipped to -some- states now (including CT, where I live).

I don't consider AppleCare+ to be worth it with a Mini. Sitting on a desk behind the display, there's very little chance of the kind of "accidental damage" that something like a MacBook may be subject to.

AppleCare (non-plus)?
    I wouldn't get that either. The Mini has one of the best reliability records of all Macs...

7. Rockies macrumors 6502

If you purchase at Best Buy and sign up for there rewards program (free), I believe you get $5 rewards for every $250 spent. Also if you are in an urban area call a couple of stores to find out what their tax rate is, each City/County is different. Some additional savings.

8. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Dezlboy

Doesn't appear the AppleCare Non Plus is available in the US. It is in other countries. The official name is Apple Protection Plan. Could not find an option to purchase the NonPlus plan anywhere on Apple (US) site.

9. Sammy's thread starter macrumors member

FYI - checked the return policies:

Amazon is 30 days
    Apple is 14 days
    Best Buy 15 days (30 days for elite members and 45 days for elite plus members but you have to qualify)

10. montycat, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018

montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Thanks for heads up that Best Buy will match Amazons price of $999.00. I get 5% cashback from my Discover card. I think I’ll buy myself a Christmas present tomorrow!!

11. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

I thought the return period is through something like Jan 8th due to holidays for both Apple and Best Buy. I purchased through Apple directly because they have online education pricing for both the mini and applecare and their extended holiday return period.