Best ringtone making application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benhollberg, May 29, 2011.

1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I've been making ringtones on my iPhone but it would seem easier on a computer. In the Mac App Store there are multiple apps that do this so I was curious if anyone had recommendations?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

3. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Can I open my iTunes music in the Ringtone maker of GarageBand? I don't have iLife '11.

Looks easy but I'd rather be able to preview and all before I make the ringtone. Some applications I have seen look a lot better than this solution.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Audacity is what I use. Open just about any audio file, edit, apply effects (compression & EQ are the ones I use most frequently), export as m4a, then change extension to m4r.

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

How much is that? Why do you use those effects and what do they do? Thanks.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Audacity is a free app for the Mac, also available for Windows and Linux.

EQ is equalization. In the case of ringtones I often reduce the low frequencies as they don't really come through the phone's speaker and they effect the overall average loudness...which can be increased with "compression". It takes a bit of tweaking to get the right amount of both, but when you do the ringtones can be much more audible.

7. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Thanks, I'll look into it.

8. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

So I finally downloaded Audacity and am trying to figure it out. When I import an audio track it only imports and will only player one-second of sound. Am I doing this wrong or could it be a bug with Lion or something? Never done this before so sorry if I seem stupid.