Best Route to Programming on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by faffoo, Jul 7, 2009.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I am new to the mac and the iPhone. I have never programmed on either before. I have a good understanding of HTML and a small understanding of good old ASP and that is it. Not Great! I am looking to build apps for the iPhone. Could anyone recomend what would be the best way to learn how to do this?

I looked into books. I seemed to arrive at this book:
    Beginning iPhone Development

But when I look at the first few pages off it i see the following:

"This book assumes that you have some programming language. It assumes..." and then goes on about what I should already have learned about Objective C and Cocoa. It also suggests that I know about objects, loops and variables.

It then says if you are new to Objective C to check out "Learn Objective C on the mac". So I did:
    Learn objective C on the Mac.

I then looked at the first few pages off that to find:

"you should have some experience with a C like programming language such as C++, Java, or C itself." I know nothing about any of these. It then says "coming from a non C language? you may still be able to follow along but you may want to check out..." does this sound similar?

My question: How far down this line of books should I go if at all?

I also looked at online video tutorials. All the ones I tryed never worked out, either out of a typing error on there part or out of date information (new SDK version).

So what should I do?

Help would be appreciated

Best Regards
    Faffoo

2. firewood macrumors 604

Learn to program first. Take a class in intro to programming first (any language). Or check out the books on introductory/beginning programming in your local library.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Read Stephen Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" first. It does not assume much, if any, prior programming experience.

Also, check out the stickies and guides at the top of this forum. And search, please. You are not the first person in these forums to wonder how to get started.

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Beginning iPhone Development is a great book, I have very basic knowledge of objective c but I found this book very good at explaining things (I have years of C programming though).

5. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I second this. Grab this book, sit down at your computer so you can do the examples as you read through. I started with this(having no C experience whatsoever), went to the 'iPhone App Development for Dummies' (dont laugh), and from there its been hands-on with the SDK. I've developed a couple basic apps for my employer, and have been dabbling with one to sell in my offtime.

6. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

So which did you read first. The reason i ask is, after reading lots on these forums i bought iPhone App Development for Dummies last night. Is it a good book, especially as I have never used C, Objective C, Cocoa or any othe apple programming stuff.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

DO NOT buy "the iPhone Developer's Cookbook". It is an OK reference but the example programs are incomplete, full of bugs, and often use undocumented features to do things that they want (a big no-no).

I agree with what others have said, first, get yourself to a class and learn basic programming, it will be useful. Understanding how computers work and understand the instructions will give you a huge leg up. Then you can start off with simple easy apps and examples. Over time move on to more and more complicated things.

I was on the Apple Developer network and they have a great introduction to Coco Foundation for the iPhone. Really a nice walkthrough. But if you don't understand the basics of programming it will be over your head.