Best router for home network with Macs and PCs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NXTMIKE, May 26, 2009.

1. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

I've had too many headaches with a D-Link (DI-524) router with connection drops every 5 minutes (I won't go into detail about that problem) and need a new router for a printer (to share across network), mac and pc. However, I'd like some advice on non-Apple routers.

Any recommendations/advice? Preferably, under $100.

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I have D-Link & Linksys routers before and finally went to an Airport Extreme Base Station.
    The Linksys (WRT310N) was fairly good compared to the D-Link but had major problems with my MacBook and iPhone connecting to it but might of been a network interference issue rather than the router.

3. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I used to have a Linksys, and it was great for 3 months, then it died. I decided that the extra money for an Airport Extreme was worth it and bought one. Two years later, the original is still working great, and I have purchased a second and an Express.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

If all you need is G speeds, the Linksys WRT54GL is where it's at in terms of stability. You can stick better firmware on it to enable pretty much any advanced feature you'd ever want. I've had one for about a year and I've never had to reboot it.

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

agreed with dolphin, the WRT54G-GL are great and you can put specialized firmware on them because it is apparently open source. quick router best of