best router for imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sjma1990, Mar 28, 2011.

1. sjma1990, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

sjma1990 macrumors newbie

i have an imac in my bedroom and my internet modem is downstairs, where i would like my imac i can't pick up a good wireless connection, if i move my imac 3 metres the other way (in an awkward position) it works perfectly...is there a router or a modem that i can buy thats good for macs so i can have my computer in the desired place in my room.

thanks guys

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may get better response to your thread with this tip. Good luck!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Drewbie macrumors member

airport express in the awkward location with an ethernet running to your preferred location ;)

5. sjma1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've read alot of good things on the airport express, being a relatively new apple user could you explain what it actually does? would i have to plug anything into my computer if i purchased the airport express?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

7. Drewbie macrumors member

airport express can do 2 things, create a new network to join up to, or it can also join to an existing network to extend the range it reaches

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

two routers i recommend:

1) linksys wrt54gl with dd-wrt firmware (version 1 or 1.1)

2) netgear wndr3700 or wndr3800 (3700 has v1 and 2. i think 2 has a bit more memory)

i've used both awith several macs connected to them wirelessly, and haven't had any problems.

9. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I use a wrt54gl with tomato firmware. SOLID and STABLE!

10. Newbe macrumors member

best router for imac?

I am new to wireless and I bought a WL Rosewill RNX-EasyN4 RTL router in order to switch over to a home wireless system. Unknown to me this Rosewill product is primarily used for pcs. For me it was a total waste of time and money plus an unwelcome trip to the post office for return mailing. That Rosewill router would not work at all even after contacting a Rosewill tech for assistance.
    I checked the Apple online Store only to discover that the refurbished Airport Extremes and Time Capsules are out of stock. So, I will probably go with Airport Express Base Station. As usual Apple products may cost more but they work! Sometimes, the so-called monetary savings is not worth your time and inconvenience. Good luck on whichever router you select to purchase.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

routers are platform agnostic, they could care less what kind of computer you are running.

Im sure the Rosewill was configured via browser -- just like every other router on the planet -- and it was just a set of simple steps to get it running.

I setup a $35 belkin g router that we bought at Target for my mothers G4 iMac in about 5 minutes.

If you just need a basic router Airport Extremes are 10X overkill.

For the OP, to extend the network an A Express makes sense -- since replacing their current router with a better one will cost the same.