Best router for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zirian, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Zirian macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I would like to ask you for possible best router good for Mac but also friendly for PC user (however almost all are:)
    I'm asking for it, as last Tuesday I bought first (as I think) wireless modem router with wireless n standard, gigabit ports and ADSL/ADSL2+ modem. This is Belkin Vision N1 Modem Router, which was issued (as I am aware) only for UK market (where I am now). I new about his down sites but seems like this model is worst then I thought.
    Administration Panel is too basic, even there is no IP reservation, and you can change only lease time, then even when you choose option Forever, it doesn't keep it for specific Mac/PC. Also program like iSoftPhone is struggling with it and drops connection after 24 sec (when on Windows is fine). My old Netgear modem router doesn't has such a problems.

So that's my question to you: do you know any good router with wireless n and gigabit LAN/WAN ports best for Mac?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

3. Zirian thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, I thought about it. However - for minus - 3 Lan ports only and, what I heard/read not so perfect administrator options like for example lack of administration over web. But I might be wrong.

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

As far as I know it works only through the Airport Utility. I believe that it is for both Mac + PC.

Anywho, I just bought a Airport Extreme Base Station yesterday and am using the following secruity features:

WPA2
    MAC Addressing
    RADIUS/ Timed Connecting (Except for my Macbook Pro which can stay continuously connected)

The performance was phenomenal over my previous D-Link router. All in all, the Airport was much easier to setup, provided better performance, same if not better security features, and (I hope) better reliability. The Airport Extreme Base Station was a smart buy for me.

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I heard great things about the WRT160N by Linksys/Cisco, though, only 4x 10/100 ethernet ports.

[​IMG]

I owned the G version, prior to upgrading to an AEBS. I like the small foot-print, and sleek looks.

6. svndmvn Guest

I thought AirPort Extreme was a Base Station only and not a modem/router, in fact it doesn't have a simple land phone line in, LANs are bigger..
    I was thinking about pairing it with a NetGear Ethernet modem/router, Linksys was the other option but it doesn't seem that good, right now my Trust MD4050 straight to the mac doesn't work that well, even with the firewall disabled, doesn't let me access to certain sites, GMail for example..

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

It's definately a router, but no off-the-shelf router I've ever had could be used as a DSL/Cable modem. ISPs try to keep the connection hardware uniform for support purposes.

8. svndmvn Guest

is the Linksys router you linked earlier better than the AirPort Extreme?
    my Trust MD4050 is a modem/router as I was saying, but it's useless with macs, what cheap DSL modem would you suggest to pair with the base station?

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You need to check what DSL modems your ISP supports and why is it useless with macs? Wireless signal is wireless signal. Linksys states that there is no support for macs but it still works.

And the modem/router you use is just a normal wired router. It is not a wireless router as far as I can see. In fact, I don't know how many ports it has but it says that a switch should be added if you want to expand the network.

10. svndmvn Guest

in fact, it's a modem/router, and I would need it to be paired with an AirPort Extreme, but since it doesn't work properly with either one of my macs, a MacBook and a PowerMac, via ethernet, it doesn't let me log into GMail for instance, Yahoo Mail is fine though, real slow downloading and stucking once in a while, Firewall disabled, now i'd need an ethernet modem to connect to the AirPort, don't need wireless, one exit will be fine, I read Linksys, especially if paired with an AirPort sort of gives problems as it changes your IP or whatever..while NetGear seams to offer better support, what has the OP decided? does the AirPort not have enough ports?

11. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

The Airport router is definitely the way to go.

But, like any router, if it's not supported by your ISP, it'll be a bich to set up.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would say the Airport Extreme; I have Linksys WRT600N has well and that's superb, but it's nowhere are easy to use at the AEBS.

13. Zirian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thabnks for all respond!

I've made some research over the weekend to find best possible solution.
    Many of you advices Apple Extreme Base Station, which is good choice I think as well. I won't take full advantage of this device at the beginnig as my network will have mixed clients - PC and Mac, and also g and n network. After a time that will be n so will be better.

I found out two solution, I'm just wondering what are do you think about them:
    1. I'll buy Draytek Vigor 110 ADSL Ethernet Modem http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=49sku=Draytek_Vigor_110_ADSL_Ethernet_Modem&products_id=1339&osCsid=56765c3cb1f6dc19ddc93564e5730bc8 and connect it with AEBS or Linksys WRT600N http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30208/96/ (however this model is still not avaible in the UK)

or

2. Draytek Vigor 2820 Series ADSL Router Firewall http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2820.html - powerfull, lot options. One down side only for me - one gigabit port instead of four.

What's your opinion about it?

Thanks

14. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

I just got an AEBS today (the linksys wireless n router was dropping my signal contantly.) great fun to setup, but the range and speed are pitiful!! The linksys was able to keep sppeds of approx 1 MB/sec across the house where i do most of my computing, but the AEBS only gets 0.4-0.6 MB/sec on average.

I'm not that savvy on wireless configurations and the options therein. Would anyone be able to assist. I'd love to keep the AEBS due to its integration to my growing :apple:World, but the speed and long range may have to take precedent to keeping it in the family.

Thanks to all in advance.

15. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Once I get my MB late this summer I'll buy the AEBS. I currently have an iMac that connects wirelessly.

My router is the WRT54GL that is b/g. It is reliable and I have it connected with WEP security since the Nintendo DS requires it. (Unfortunately).

Now I've seen that there is a bit of a bottleneck at times when family is over with b/g devices. So what I'm going to do is get the AEBS and connect it directly to the modem and then connect the WRT54GL to the AEBS. That way I can connect my wireless n iMac and MB to the AEBS and allow those people with the b/g devices to connect to the WRT54GL. That way I can keep up the speeds of the n connection.

16. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I only use the Airport Extream Base Station and the Airport Express (just for tunes in my living room) :)

It just seemed natural to stick with :apple: :D