Best router for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ClemTiger0408, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Just to get the record straight, my University uses torrents as a main way to transfer large videos and data to students.

I'm trying to find a better router option for my MBP. Currently, I have the newer version of the Linksys N router (the one that's around $60-70). I've noticed that when I do a lot of torrenting, the router performance goes down a lot.

I have my PS3 wired to the router, and I cannot stream video at a consistant rate. Seems like something with the MBP clogs up the router. Windows machines, and even Windows on the MBP do not yield the same results and perform way better.

So I am looking for a replacement. I see the Airport base station, but thats pretty expensive. I was hoping for something under $100.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Has this issue been identified to Apple? I know 3 different people with this same router and I get the same results with all 3.

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Airport Express Base Station is more expensive for a reason. It's much better quality - best router I have ever owned.

On the other hand try a D-link 655 - think it's Gigabit ethernet and is on sale under $100. Remember another advantage of the AEBS is that its very easy to set up with a Mac. With the others you have to go through their browser based control panels....

3. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well how does the base station stack up against other routers? Is it truly one of THE best routers available? $170 just seems like a lot for router. And as we all know, Apple is notorious for over pricing things sometimes.

And remember, I will still be using Windows machines on it as well.

4. bobiomongio macrumors newbie

Not sure this is the right forum for routers but my experience with D-Link (DI-624) has been horrible. I had to turn wireless off on it and just use it as a wired router to keep it from rebooting all the time (after trying pretty much every firmware and factory resetting in between and bla bla bla). I ended up using an Airport Express for the wireless part (which it has performed flawlessly). The DIR-655 might be better of course. That the AEBS doesn't have SPI is a bit annoying but except from that it looks really nice I think (except pricewise of course). That is if the 802.11n wireless works as well as the 802.11g worked on the Airport Express. The WAN-LAN throughput seems to be a bit on the low side too in some reviews, but I think Apple improved that in some firmware release.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

"best" is not a very accurate word. The Base station is a great router for home use, but would never stack up to an enterprise grade router (which is not something you would be interested in).

Any router would work fine. Macs works on 802.11 standards which is what every PC on the market does too. The only problem you *might* run in to is if you got one of the super dumbed down versions of a router and it came with software to configure it (instead of just navigating to a page in your browser).

6. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Get a belkin N+ router I use it for my MPB. It works great.

7. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I use a DLink DIR-655 with my MBP and has had no issues with it. For torrenting it is among the best with a very fast Ubicom processor.

8. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I have been very happy with the D-link DIR-655. Over the years I have been through a bunch of routers and was not a fan of D-link, but the 655 just works. I was having a ton of WiFi drops with my MBP, I have not had one drop since getting the 655. If you do go with the DIR-655 stick with Firmware ver 1.11, for some reason ver 1.20 & 1.21 have slowed down through put

9. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Stay away from Belkin and Netgear. Nothing but problems over the years with them in many different setups that I've helped people with in their homes and offices.

I have a netgear G that I'm using as a backup because my Linksys N took a crap on me, and the thing is just horrible, but i got it for free so I can't complain that much.

The Airport is awesome though if you can spend the money...and you get a print server and gigabit ethernet with it too.

Apple, Linksys, D-Link all ok in my book.

10. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I went through 4 Netgear G router (WGR614). My roommate has about that many as well. They all have disconnect issues.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

12. milamber macrumors regular

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

+1 greatest router of all time.

14. milamber macrumors regular

WRT54g especially if you use the open source firmware. The possibilities are endless! I bought 2 about 6 months ago. One for myself and one for a friend of mine. Both have been working flawlessly. Just keeps ticking away!

15. firesong macrumors member

If you want to torrent, nothing beats the DLink DIR-655. The Ubicom Stream processor is very powerful, and beats even the Linksys with custom firmware.

This from buying quite a few routers for friends and family and testing out a couple of configuration. Go with the DIR-655. The AEBS is nice for setting up and for the 5Ghz band (300Mbps at 802.11n-only mode) but for overall network performance on a home grade router, the Ubicom-powered DIR-655 (or DIR-855) takes the cake.

16. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

AEBS is a great router for the Mac due to its compatability and ease of set up and use - can use Airport Express to extend the network as well. It seems much better made too. Just pick up an AEBS and another router and compare weights - if that is a sign of quality. In addition you can use the USB port in the AEBS to hook up for wireless printing and create a wireless storage drive.

Having said that, the reviews I have read re: the D-Link are nothing but good and the price is so much cheaper that I may even get one to set up an alternative network for my basement..

17. katorga macrumors regular

D-Link DIR655

I vote for a D-Link Gaming or DIR655 router. They have faster processors than most routers and support 1024 concurrent connections versus 256 for most routers.

I started out with a DGL4300, which died after a few years, and moved to a DIR655 with no issues. I use the DLINK for 802.11G and as the SPI firewall. It supports dynDNS, QoS and has better logging than AEBS.

I have a AEBS behind that for 802.11N 5Ghz devices.

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

linksys

I use a linksys with the tomato open source firmware, I like being able to adjust things like QOS for VOIP, VUDU, Slingboxes, servers, WHS, etc.

If only the airports had SOME level of QOS capabilities on them, I would certainly buy one.