Best router for new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodbags, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Woodbags macrumors newbie

I have a Microserver as a NAS and want to get some of the benefits of 802.11ac.

I know nothing about networking, what should I look out for? Who is the market leader?

2. double329 macrumors 6502

Not sure who is the market leader now a day. I got NetGear R7000 few weeks ago replacing my good old Apple Xtreme. There was nothing wrong with my Xtreme. I just want to replace it with AC one. I pretty much double the WiFi speed on my rMBA using AC. Extremely fast! I also have Seagate GoFlex NAS connected to it via 1gb LAN port. I got a very good access speed as well.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Go look at this website : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

5. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, at that price should we just get an AirPort Extreme?

6. leman macrumors 604

Well, Airport Extreme is slower. Then again, each router which is faster than Airport Extreme is in a similar price range.

This link has a direct comparison of a bunch of routers.

7. ecrispy macrumors regular

The review of the AEBS mentioned that its range wasn't as good, antennas weren't as directional, and it has much less config options (which is not always a bad thing).

Basically a router should be something that you plug in and configure once then leave alone. Due to that I prefer something that will let me enable things like QoS.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

It does better than the Airport Extreme in both range and transfer speeds.

Unfortunately, if you want 802.11ac, you're going to have to spend a decent amount. At this time, it is reserved for the high-end routers. There may be some cheap 802.11ac routers out there, but they're probably pretty bad. Either way, always check the reviews before you buy.

9. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Should I spend $200 on a really good product with lots of features, or do I spend $200 on an average product that's more limiting in what I can configure?

10. cybergibbons macrumors newbie

The Asus RT-AC66U is a really great router. Fast with PC and Mac, reliable, does everything I could want it to.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

12. TmanATL macrumors member

I have a dual band Asus router - the "N" kind, since I bought it before AC came out. I'm very satisfied with it. bought it about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago now.

I'd look on amazon at different types of routers and read the reviews -- that's what I did! Asus seemed like the best option for me at the time.

Kind of wish I could justify buying a new router now so I can experience the new "AC" thing, but my router will probably last me another few years at least and be just fine. By then there could be a new standard, anyway.

13. Woodbags thread starter macrumors newbie

So is the consensus a lot more manufacturers are going to start bringing out ac routers?

~£200 seems too much for something which I have always got free from my ISP.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since it's the new standard, manufacturers would be quite stupid not to bring new products using it to the table.

And honestly, Wi-Fi routers from your ISP usually suck balls, no range and quite slow. I use a Time Capsule at my appartment building, I'm on the 4th floor, by the time I drop the signal with my iPhone, I'm 4 floors down and over 100 feet away, at my car.

15. nathairtras macrumors member

The router I received from Frontier FiOS is on-par with the modded Linksys with DD-WRT I had been running previously. Both are OK, but not great. The ISP router is "good enough" to replace my existing one and cut a device out of the network.

That being said, ideally I want to switch to using a home-built router with a separate AP, with the FiOS router just acting as a MOCA bridge. Eventually. That way I can upgrade / expand my wireless and not have to redo my whole router.

16. mneblett macrumors 6502

There's a lot of negative comments on the ac AEBS/Time Capsule here, but I have to say my ac Time Capsule is giving me *excellent* service on all my ac/n/g (and even a b) equipment.

The Asus 66 is certainly faster and has more user-configurable features, but (i) its not faster by leaps and bounds (the AEBS/TC is nearly as fast), and (ii) the "limited" feature set on the AEBS/TC is not that "limited," and in any event is only a concern if you are one that uses a lot of advanced features.

To each their own, but I went with the ac TC because it in the real world the performance difference is hardly noticeable, and it keeps my MBP and router in the same "ecosystem" of Apple -- i.e, known-compatible software, easy set-up/use of Time Machine, and no opportunity for two separate companies to point at the other as the source of any problem that crops up.

My primary point is there's more to router choice than performance specs -- be sure to consider your entire use situation before choosing!