Best router to work with MBP and pcs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeheenan, Dec 29, 2007.

1. mikeheenan macrumors 6502

I currently have a Netgear WGT624 router, and sometimes the wireless connection with my MBP is lost, or sometimes it works for a long while and then the connection craps out, and I have to restart the router. If I have a direct connection to the router via a Cat 5 cable with my MBP it's a constant connection with no interruptions. But I want to move around the house when editing and whatnot so I was looking at other options for a better router. Costco has a Dlink extreme gigabit router with Wireless N for $120, does anyone use this one by chance?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I have a Netgear WPN824 and have been very happy with it. I've gone through two Linksys(s?) in the past and they have both died on me. (similar situation as you mentioned)

If you want a new router, though, I'd look at Apple's Airport Extreme Base Station. It is a little expensive but it is a really high quality router.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Your MBP should be able to work with any router. It sounds like a Leopard, as opposed to Netgear-MBP issue. FWIW, I've got a Netgear and an MB, and both work all right.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd avoid D-Link like the plague. Experience at work (we used to have a large number of outside workers whom we supplied with routers) suggest that D-Link make by far the worst routers on the market.

Netgear are generally okay, although my personal preference at the low end would be Linksys. I've deployed around 8 or 10 WAG200Gs over the last several months, and apart from needing to flash the firmware, I've not had a single issue - to the point that I even use one at home now. Great little device.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've got an Airport Extreme, but it's expensive. It's never given me any problems, though and printer sharing is very easy. Airdisk is also very convenient, especially once it gains time machine support. If you'll use one of those things, it's definitely worth looking at.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Yeah, I heart the AEBS too.

Such a good router for so little money. Too bad drives shared over it are a tad too slow though, but still a great router nonetheless!

7. mikeheenan thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that an Apple router is best for MBPs and Macs in general. This isn't a Leopard issue I know, because I had the same problems when Tiger was installed. Thanks for the tips, I'll avoid the Dlink router then.

8. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I'm also trying to find a cheap but good wireless router

9. coopermac macrumors member

My Netgear WG834GT had been in use in my network of two windows PC's and a windows laptop using a Netgear PMCIA card for about two years. I added my MBP to it 4/5 months ago, it connected without any problems and the signal remains strong. The Netgear set up interface is easy to use and tweak if you need to.

I have recently upgraded to leopard, the connection remains the same except that after sleep mode I have to close/open airport to get the signal back, this would seem to be a Leopard problem though and one that I can live with.

I have set up the non wifi version at work on three permanent PC's and connect all sorts to the spare Lan connector from time to time and all without problems.

A major UK ISP (Sky - part of the Murdoch empire) now supply a re-badged/firmwared version of the GT as part of their package.

The WG834GT is the only wifi router I have ever used and would only change it if I wanted to go "n". (Have considered adding the AEBS to it for the "n" capability but as I don't down load many large files to the MBP can't really justify the expense).

I believe that even in the US it is substantially cheaper than the Apple AEBS.

10. CV4 macrumors member

its not that it is best for macs, its just best for everything.

11. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I've used Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, and Motorola...ALL outclassed by the Airport Extremes! I have the old version that still looks like a UFO and it works great with 1 MBP, 2 Vista laptops, and 3 XP desktops! We also have a HP 1200 Series printer hooked up to it and all can print to it.

Apple has the new APEBS for sale for 180 but the old versions are $130 on amazon and around 50 on ebay...

12. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Go for the AirPort Extreme, it's one of the best 802.11n routers out there. The price is good as well considering the features it has. I am currently using a Netgear router however I will soon purchase the AirPort Extreme base station myself to fully benefit from the 802.11n technology that my MBP has.