Best router with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 929406, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 929406 macrumors regular

I have 3 MBPs on my current network but although the range is exceptional I can dropouts or slow down at least once a day. I would also like to use gigabit transfer to my NAS. I have a 3 story place so range must be good as well.

My local shop recommended the Linksys 610N but Amazon has mixed user reviews on this one. Anyone with any recommendations to routers fitting those parameters?

2. DaveDaveDave macrumors member

I'd recommend the Apple Airport Extreme... My wifi at home *dramatically* improved when I ditched my FIOS routers wifi. Plus, the Time Capsule features rock, as does the ability to extend the range via the Airport Express (I use two of those).

Cheers,
    Dave

3. belvdr macrumors 601

If you want gigabit speeds, then you need to be wired. I assume you mean you will walk to where your gig ports are and plugged in.

I have been using the Linksys WRT54G (and now WRT54GL) for years without issue. I run OpenWRT on them and expand my coverage easily.

4. hummer28 macrumors member

I'm currently using the Dlink DIR-855 and it is serving me wonderfully. I've owned the WRT600n (awesome router), WRT610n (had consistent dropped signals related to heat from what I found). Honestly, the value to performance of the 600n is higher than any router I've researched or owned. The DIR-855 plays nice with my video game machines (particularly) Xbox Live because it is so configurable. If console gaming isn't a major concern of yours I feel the 600n would serve you well for what you described.

I also wanted to add the equipment I had on my network. I take no significant performance hits even when dealing with torrents simultaneously often times.

PS3 (wireless)
    Xbox 360 (wireless)
    Wii (wireless)
    TX-NR905 (Onkyo receiver) (wired)
    Macbook unibody 2.0GHz (wireless)
    Macbook Pro 17" unibody 2.93GHz (wireless)
    VIP-622 (Dish Network box) (wired)
    HD-A35 (HD-DVD player .... yeah ... I know :) (wired)
    Dell D630 (wireless)
    HP 2710 printer (wireless)
    iPhone 3G 16GB (wireless)

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I have to second the WRT54G...they are workhorses and you can't beat the price...I run mine in a mixed environment with Macs, PCs, Xbox, Wii, iPhone, etc and I reboot it 2x a year.

Cheers.

-J.-

6. hummer28 macrumors member

Sometimes the simpler answer is the best! I never considered that he didn't need a dual band dual radio solution. I have to second the feedback of you and blvdr on the WRT54G. My parents, brothers, and sister run this exact model and have so for years. They've never had any problems. It's a simple solution and the fact that DD-WRT was made for this thing just makes it gravy.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I use the Belkin N+ and it has been awesome and has a really strong signal three houses away and across the street as well...:cool:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've used a zillion different routers and I have now settled down with a AirPort Extreme; very good reception and compatibility; our home with big, so we have 2 other routers set as extenders, but if you centralize your wireless AP you may not need more than 1 AP.

There is one drawback with the AEBS is that is certainly not the fastest router—the Linksys routers are a bit faster.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

+1 for airport extreme

10. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Airport Extreme is the way to go. Don't get an Express if you intend for it to be the main router for your home network, it's too underpowered for that.

11. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Does that mean you're using your neighbour's wifi, from across the street and three houses down?:cool:

12. kousuke18 macrumors regular

WRT54GL + ddwrt or tomato custom firmware = win! :)

13. 929406 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple just released a new version of the Airport Extreme with some interesting upgrades, pretty much brings in on par with the high end routers of other brands. The guest feature is interesting as this used to be an enterprise feature.

what does everyone think? yes or no?

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

WRT54G for me to. A cheap, very reliably workhorse.

15. isaki87 macrumors regular

D-Link Dir-825... great router, hasn't failed me whereas AEBS failed me 3 times.

Great for torrenting, playing COD 4/5 online, and running 4 Vonage lines.

16. Hissta macrumors newbie

Second vote for D'Link DIR-825. I got it on sale from Newegg. I was myself debating over this or the Time Capsule. Happy with my choice.

17. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Up until a few months ago I had always used DLink and Linksys routers with open source firmware, and always had problems with them (the DLink ones had horrible signal quality, and the Linksys ones would lock up at least once a week, requiring a restart).

I've since started using an Airport Extreme, and haven't had a dropped signal or lockup since. Plus I was able to easily set up two Airport Expresses to extend my network throughout my house, and stream music to my stereo and weight room. And using the Airport Utility application is much easier and nicer than the garbage web setup apps that most routers use (IMHO).