Best router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by niter, Jul 27, 2010.

1. niter macrumors 6502

I can finallyreplacw our terrible router but i am at a loss over what wireless router to purchase. I need one that can support a MacBook, iPad, pc laptop, pc desktop, wii, and xbox. I would love an airport but the pc items are nonnegotiable for work, sadly. Also, i am interested in a future apple tv. Thanks!

2. Sir Lorad macrumors member

Are you sure you can´t go with an airport express?

I use one and love it.:D

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The AirPort Extreme and Express are compatible with Windows, as a router is mostly OS independent, as communication is transferred via a network layer.

4. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what I hoped. Then again, if it was the case, i should have little trouble with my current router. If it was up to me, we would ditch the pc's entirely. Still, we need the xbox to have the best connection. Does the airport extreme work well with the xbox?

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Why would anyone buy an Airport Extreme?

Go with a Netgear wireless router. IMO Netgear makes the best small routers available. Never had a problem with them. Currently using WGR614v7 router with Mac, PCs, iPod Touch, Playstation 3, PSP, and Sun server. No problems whatsoever. I think I paid $50 for it.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I've had D-Link and Linksys routers before, but they seem to break down on me after a while, crashing constantly, or just blocking all traffic.

I got an airport Extreme which is both wired and wireless, and it's given me no major problems with connections. I say it's worth the $200 considering I may have gone through 1 or 2 D-Links/Linksys routers by now.

I would recommend the Extreme if you're hooking to an Xbox. If you're gaming then it's best to have it wired to the router. It works with PCs too, I have 3 connected to mine regularly and they have no trouble.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does the AEBS support things like QoS yet?

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

To be honest I'm not sure what that is. If the AEBS didn't have it before, I don't think it has it now unless there was a major update or new version.

All I know is that wired is better than wireless for transferring large amounts of data, like you would when playing a game online, especially hosting.