Best RPG

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tokyoblue, Apr 25, 2009.

1. tokyoblue macrumors newbie

tokyoblue

What would you guys say is the best RPG available on the iPhone now. I haven't played any RPGs in a long time, but, back in the day, I enjoyed stuff like Bard's Tale, Ultima, Pool of Radiance, Wasteland and Fallout. I would like something that has a significant amount of game play - not something that is only going to last 2 to 3 hours.

Any suggestions?

2. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

The quest is what I'm enjoying. I've tried demos of the other games, they're not my style.

3. Tradewind macrumors member

Tradewind

Depends on what kind of RPG you like. If you like western RPGs, ie excessive dialogue that takes days to finish reading, little action, many choices, sandbox-style, etc, then The Quest is for you.
    If you're like me and like J/C/KRPGs, with less dialogue, better graphics, better music, and linear gameplay, then there are a few:
    Chronicles of Inotia: good graphics and music; however everything else is bad, it is extremely repetitive, dialogue depth is extremely shallow and the gameplay is too simple
    Arvale: graphics aren't that great but the dialogue is much better than Inotia; it is also turn based, which I prefer
    Vay: horrible graphics, but I heard it's better than Arvale; also you can fight more than one enemy at a time (unlike Arvale), it is also turn based
    Zenonia: this one is not out yet, but it will most likely excel in the RPG genre; it is one of the most anticipated games

4. tokyoblue thread starter macrumors newbie

tokyoblue

Thanks for the info! BTW, what's are J/C/KRPGs? :confused:

5. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

I think a final fantasy type rpg for the iPhone would rock!

6. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

If a Final Fantasy came out, that would be sweet

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Not what you are asking about :) A JRPG is a Japanese-style RPG, as opposed to Western-style RPG's (of which all of your examples are). The Western-style RPG has a mostly open-world that you can explore as you desire. There of course is a story, but you are generally only required to really follow it in the very beginning, then you can go your way and choose when to go back to it. Western-stye RPG's give you a great sense of freedom and exploration.

A Japanese-RPG is very linear - it tells a detailed story, and pretty much forces you upon a set path for most of it to best tell that story. Final Fantasy X on PS2 is an extreme example of the genre: it starts out with an intro cutscene, puts you in a city with only one path, after a few more cutscenes and some set battles you are whisked away to a dungeon-of-sorts, when you find your way out you get some more cutscenes and then you're in an underwater dungeon. After a couple cutscenes you are in a village where you can finally wander around a little bit, maybe go just outside the village for a few random combats but you are very limited in where you can go. In Final Fantasy X you can finally go anywhere in the world you want - at the very end of the game right before the final boss fights. They can tell a great story that way and have very detailed cutscenes and an amazingly balanced game, at the cost of the sense of exploration and freedom.

8. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I just got underworlds, its a new hack and slash dungeon crawler I'm enjoying a lot! It was released about five days ago, and SO worth five bucks. I hear that on easy to normal it only clocks in at around ten hours, but on harder difficulty levels it requires more time. And Zenonia looks so good! Not sure when that one is coming out, but I will be buying it as soon as it does, it looks to have the only good dialogue in an iphone rpg so far.

9. omgadinosaur! macrumors newbie

JRPG= Japanese RPG
    CRPG= Chinese RPG
    KRPG=Korean RPG :rolleyes:

10. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Free today only!! Haven't tried it yet, but had to snag it before the price goes back up.

11. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

Has anyone tried the Underworlds Ultimate Edition for the iPad? That looks cool!

12. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Chaos Rings is the best RPG for the iPhone/Touch right now. Best MMO is IMO: The World of Magic

13. hariustrk macrumors member

You guys are aware Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are avail in the itunes store?

14. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

The post you quoted was from April of *2009* ... so it wasn't available then!

15. billycuth macrumors 6502a

what are some of the newer RPGs that are good? I like infinity blade, but after playing through it a few dozen times, I am good until they expand it a bit. The unreal engine is well, unreal...

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Battleheart is a new release that is fantastic. Well worth a fiver.

17. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana, & Crimson Gem Saga are good RPGs.

For humor Game Dev Story is pretty cool

18. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

19. nedz06 macrumors newbie

I played Eternal Legacy before and seems that i don't really like it.. Thus, i like Final fantasy better.:)

20. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

My current favorites are Zenonia 2 and Across Ages.

What I have not found yet is a MMORPG like WoW for iOS :(.

21. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Best RPG built FOR the iOS has got to be Battleheart.

Despite unintuitive controls and a D-pad that takes getting used to, Secret of Mana is incredible too.

Others that have taken up some of my time are Inotia 2, Crimson Gem Saga, and Rimelands.

22. IPhonehackrJosh macrumors newbie

The best rpg I found so far with a massive world and loads of armor and weapons is Aralon: Sword and Shadow. It has awesome 3D graphics and a solid story line with side quest to keep interested. Very good graphics. The skill tree and level ups are very nice. Ride mounts. Choose from 3 races and 3 classes. This game was very impressive and highly recommended if you like action adventures with huge maps insane graphics and hours of gameplay.

23. jotey macrumors newbie

jotey

24. spinedoc77 macrumors 604

spinedoc77

Aralon is a pretty good western "oblivion" style rpg, it's. A year or 2 old so will prob be cheap now.