Best RSS App Solution?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by HappyDude20, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I realize most of my web browsing revolves around a few certain websites. Rather than checking back on these sites on an hourly basis I'd like to implement an RSS feed. Naturally, an app would be the most elegant solution and am wondering which app would be best suited for this occasion?

Preferably a universal app for both the iPad and iPhone, though this is not a necessity.

2. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Reeder on both but not universal. Mr.Reader is the new kid on the block for the iPad which is my current favourite.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've also heard of FlipBoard, or something along those lines but am wondering if this would be a good candidate for what im going for..

I'll check out Reeder and Mr. Reader.. I'm guessing both are free? :p

4. player2, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

player2 macrumors member

Reeder is not free. i think it is like $4-5.

I really like it. The only feature I feel it is lacking is the ability to comment on items that have been shared, however this appears to be something few of the reader apps support.

i am not familiar with Mr. Reader.

EDIT:
    I just saw a review of Mr. Reader. That looks really nice.

For anyone that has it...are you able to share items to google reader and comments on the items that your friends follow. I know this is not a big thing for most but I do it all the time. If I could do that I will gladly spend $2.99 for it.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Mobile RSS for me. Not universal but available on both iPhone & iPad. Syncs with Google Reader so both devices are kept in sync. It also makes it easier to add feeds as you can add loads to Google Reader initially on a Mac/PC and they they will sync to your devices.
    Feeddler is another option that is universal - not quite up to the standard of Mobile RSS imho but still relative clean and streamlined and works well enough.

6. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Let me echo the recommendation for Mobile RSS as well. It is *fantastic.* I am a developer, and when I loaded Mobile RSS I was extremely impressed. First of all its gorgeous, it works perfectly, and it has a really easy to use and interesting layout. I love how when you click a link it loads up its own web browser, and also how the list of articles is a "floating" view that you can whip to either side of the screen.

Also, Mobile RSS has a free version and a paid version, the only difference being a single unobtrusive ad. It's actually the first 3rd party app that made it onto my "dock".

7. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

My only issue with Flipboard, unless I'm doing something wrong, is that it doesnt pull every article. So I have to go back to a traditional reader to view the feeds I missed.

I have been using Feedly.

8. AudioCow macrumors newbie

9. GabooN macrumors regular

I just wanted to mention that this is the case with any of the reader apps that use Google Reader. I use Reeder on my iPhone and Mac, and soon iPad, and I add the sources from my Mac web browser and they automatically show up on my devices. Also Starring or marking as read/unread, etc, works across devices.

10. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

I've always been a really big fan of "River of News". It's a beautiful interface and let's you read articles it a continuos flow without letting a noisy UI get in the way. I'd also like to give props to Mobile RSS. They completely ripped Reeder's UI off a couple of months back. When the community got pissed, they went back in and did a stellar job at creating a very intuitive and pretty app.

11. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

I've used many and here's my take.

If you are a casual RSS user, MobileRSS HD Free. It sports a Twitter-like UI, it's free, and unobtrusive ad on one of the corners. It's a bit slow and prone to crashes, however (especially if you have lots of feeds).

If you are looking for fastest and most stable RSS reader, Reeder. It may lack pizzazz that some of the other RSS readers have, as well as ability to manage feed, but it's just friggin' fast and it just works.

Mr. Reader and River of News sport similar UI (River of News did it first) and more extensive feature set. Between the two, Mr. Reader has more potential, but it is very slow if you have more than a handful of feeds. River of News is no speed demon either (I noticed frequent pauses), but I found it to be faster and more mature of the two.

13. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I ended up going with Pulse for both the iPod & iPad...

Just wish there was Pulse on the Mac.

14. dbarron macrumors newbie

I use FeedDemon on my PC and found that Feeddler was the best match for my style on the iPad. The free version was very good, and the Pro version even better.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this. lovely interface.

16. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

Reeder fan here.

Wasn't there a dustup awhile ago over MobileRSS copying a bunch of features from Reeder, btw?