Best RSS Reader for OSX/iOS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by htg, Dec 19, 2011.

1. htg macrumors regular

Even though I know there are many good RSS readers out there, I'm looking for one that I can run both on my Mac and iPhone/iPad that is synchronised. Every time I view a story on one, I want it to update on the other. Does Reeder do that or is there another one you would recommend?

Thanks.

2. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Reeder syncs across your Mac, iPhone, and iPad. I really like it because it's a no frills kind of RSS aggregate. It's simple to mark stories as read or mark stories to be read (again) later. Syncing is instantaneous. You can use your iPhone to one moment to mark something as read or star it so you can check it later, and then go on your Mac and it'll sync on instantly on the next refresh.

3. Sixth Street macrumors member

Reeder is the best one I think too. It's interface is great and it's iPhone app is amazing. Bad news is you get hit twice on iOS. No universal app.

The best thing about all the OSX/iOS apps is the readability integration. If you hit the readability view, the whole article is downloaded and presented in a Safari reader type view. This is particularly helpful for feeds that annoyingly don't give the full article in the feed, i.e. The Economist, and also for ad-ridden pages.

Ability to send articles to Instapaper and other similar services is also fantastic.

Two things to note however, (1) Reeder is not a repository for all your feeds. You need to use Google Reader and Reeder just logs into Google Reader. (2) The current version in the app store is reported to have a memory leak. I never leave Reeder open that long as I mostly use it to send articles to Instapaper so I haven't experienced that problem.

4. QuarterSwede, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Definitely Reeder. I use it on iOS and my Mac. It's beautiful in it's simplicity and looks. It's easily the fastest syncing to Google Reader of any app I've used and the speed at which I can weed out articles is fantastic (swipe right to mark as read).

Note: I haven't had an issue with Reeder memory leaking.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Any RSS app that does Google Reader sync will do what you want.

I use Newsrack on both OS X and iOS.