Best RSS reader?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ravenvii, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

There seems to be a ton of good ones on the iPad. I'm looking for a good RSS reader. I don't read that many RSS feeds - maybe 10 or less.

Is it Reeder or River of News? Or Pulse or Early Edition?

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Feeddler has a good reputation. I am actually trying it.

3. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

I like Reeder because it'll cache the stories/headers so I can read them later while I'm offline.

4. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

I use a combination of Reeder and River of News depending on my reading mood. I'm now using Read it Later (w/ digest) for the important articles found in the above. The new update to that app is nothing short of exceptional!

5. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

Reeder is far and away the best RSS reading solution I've used on any platform. On my Mac, I use NetNewsWire exclusively (nothing else is as simple or fast), and on the iPhone I use NNW as well. On the iPad, I've tried 5 or 6 (some wasted $$ in there), but Reeder is EXTREMELY FAST, often updated, and looks/functions beautifully.

6. DKatri macrumors 6502

I reccomend River of News or Reeder, I also have newsrack, pulse and early edition.

Pulse is ok if you want a few feeds but I just never got along with it.

Early edition is too gimmicky for me. dosnt work all that well.

7. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

Reeder is very good. I use it as my main rss.

I also use Pulse for a few feeds like tuaw, minimal mac, short & frequent news type stuff ie. for casual browsing of 'light' news or blog feeds. Its more pretty than Reeder but not designed for lots of feeds.

8. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

As much a computer geek as I've been the past 2.5 decades...I'm a relative newbie to RSS, essentially since picking up the iPad/iPhone(s).

(I realize how much time I've wasted checking every forum, every day now:))

So, I may not be the best judge of the "Best" RSS reader...however, I've tried a couple and absolutely LOVE Early Edition. It's great, works flawlessly, reads like the local newspaper subscription I've given up, and it's easy to use...add links, and expand or delete subscriptions at will.

Reeder is great...but I use Early Edition 95% of the time.

J

9. bomsom macrumors member

Same as me!!!
    From what I learned, there are essentially to kinds of news reader app, The one like Reeder for hardcore "feeders" that allows hundreds of feeds and are more focused on text, and the eye catching types like Pulse, Times, etc. that are for light feed use with more friendly, beautiful graphical interface. I think I'm with the second option.
    After several days researching I'm leaning towards FLUD or Slide Reader. Has anyone tried one of these?
    All the reviews I read stated that they are better than Pulse.

Some important things for my use:

- Don't need Google Reader compatibility
    - Not a hardcore feed subscriber. Maybe 20 - 30 feeds
    - Instapaper integration
    - Mark as read/unread
    - I read that some news reader apps have a limit in the number of feeds, they just keep the most recent or the last 20, something like this. That's a deal breaker.
    - Offline reading

Don't know if the 2 I mentioned above will fit all the requirements. Oh and as I write, FLUD in on 50% sale price of $1.99, very tempting!!

10. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

The only one i've used is Feedler.. and that's because I haven't found a reason to try anything else. It does exactly what I want it to do and it syncs with my Google Reader account.

The only thing I haven't figured out to do (but that's mostly because i'm slow in the mind and haven't devoted much time at all to figuring it out) is how to delete a subscription in the app itself, rather than going to Google Reader and doing it.

11. DylanG macrumors regular

DylanG

12. bomsom macrumors member

FLUD and Slide Reader

I promised myself I wouldn't do this but I did... I bought both!

FLUD was the first one because it was cheaper. the interface looks good but usability is a little complicated.
    It lags, no smooth transitions between rows and columns scrolling. It stores the last 12 articles of each feed and that's it. You can't configure for how long old feeds will stay active, it's always the last 12 (if there's a way to do it I didn't figure out).
    It comes with some popular feeds already loaded and there's a list of preconfigured feeds, you just have to check the ones you want, if you want.
    All the feeds you add automatically turns into a row of 12 feeds, and you can categorize it using one of the predetermined categories in the app but no further customization. I think it's OK for the casual reader but if you want a little more control you can't have it.
    You can't read the feeds in fullscreen, there's always a space on the left or bottom (depends on iPad orientation) for the feed rows, a waste of space. You can pinch to zoom though.
    No Instapaper integration.
    In sum, very disappointing.

Slide Reader: What a difference!!! First of all, it's fast! Smooth navigation, no lags.
    The start screen has no feeds and have instructions for initial config.
    Lots of options! You can configure for how long old feeds will stay on screen, or when the read feeds will be deleted and a lot more.
    You create your own categories to organize feeds and all the feeds that are in the same category shows in one row in chronological order. One feed can be set to different categories at the same time.
    Instapaper integration and others like Google Reader (I don't use this), Read it Later, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
    Themes. You have 3 options in app and can download more online (don't know if it's free).
    Profiles. If more than one person is using the same iPad you can create different profiles for them, or if you want to organize more you can use it for distinct subjects for example.
    I'm very happy with Slide Reader so far, five dollars well spent.

13. Diane B macrumors regular

+1. Reeder for main and Pulse for lighter.