Best RSS Reader?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by moviecouple, Oct 18, 2008.

1. moviecouple macrumors regular

Currently using Feeds. Seems to bog a bit down with the new update. Any other ones that are as good?

2. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

If you use Google Reader, then I'd recommend Gazette. Matt's done a great job with this. I'd previously tried Byline, Newsstand and a few others, but ended up deleting them and sticking with Google's reader webapp. That is until Gazette was released. It's simple, quick and stable. It also has pretty much all the features that Google Reader has, with the added ability of offline reading. I'll be sticking with Gazette now.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

4. TheZimm macrumors 6502a

TheZimm

Byline and Gazette are nice, a comparison will go up on my site in a few days

Zym

5. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

Im currently using NetNewsWire and it seems to be the best. The only downside with it is that you have to add the feeds using a webrowser.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

you can add some feeds through netnewswire itself.

"View>>show sites drawer"

other than that, you'll need to add it via web browser, but I don't consider that a problem at all.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Is Gazette excruciatingly slow for anyone else? Downloading each feed seems to take forever over 3G so I tried over WiFi and it wasn't much if any better.

10. Matt342 macrumors regular

Hi!

Which feeds are you subscribed to?

~Matt

11. BikeRanger macrumors newbie

I like [app=Newsstand]Newsstand[/app].

You can also set up RSS feeds in Newsgator and avoid needing another app while keeping feeds synced between your phone and computer. (m.newsgator.com/iPhone from Safari on your iPhone.)

For Google Reader, I use it directly from Safari instead of with a separate app.

12. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I have 39 different feeds I'm subscribed to, I had been lazy over the weekend so there were a lot of unread items (~1,000) that had built up in Google Reader so I'm suspecting that is what caused the slow down. Once I cleared out the unread items the sync seemed to be much more reasonable so I will continue piloting it alongside Byline and see how they perform against each other.

13. Matt342 macrumors regular

Yes. Performance is a problem in the current version of Gazette (1.0.x) if you have over 500 unread feeds. This will be fixed when I rewrite the architecture of Gazette in 1.1.

~Matt

14. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Hmmm....mine seems to work just fine.

I currently maintain 3 folders with a total of 10 feeds. The worst culprit to slow loading is Google News itself. It is always the last one to load and the slowest but that just means I look at it last. I check mine 2-3 times per day and it is never slow except on edge. I do not have 3G in my area so it is WiFi or Edge and it is never slow except for Google News. I used to use NetNewsWire and this is far faster then that ever was.

In my opinion it is location/individual problem, not app.

15. Matt342 macrumors regular

Thanks... but it's still gonna be even faster and more responsive.

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I've been using, and loving, Byline. The archive feature is great too! Perfect for airplanes. Just archive every new feed before the flight, and you've got the full feed (plus images and the website) even without internet!

17. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

If I had heard of Gazette earlier...I would of taken a look at it. It looks good, though the press and forum posts on Byline swayed me..

18. naktak macrumors member

Hi Matt,

Downloaded Gazette as I'm a Google Reader user. It looks great but it's painfully slow. It took me about 20 minutes to synch my feeds and is unusable for me at this point. However, if you get the performance issues worked out, it looks like it could be very good. Looking forward to 1.1!

19. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

I use Manifesto and love it. Simple to use, simple to import your Google reader feeds, easy mass deletion.

20. naktak macrumors member

No folders with Manifesto and there are no options on how the feeds are organized (only alphabetically). So you've got feeds all over the place with no organization.

21. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Plus Maifesto is a standalone RSS reader, it just allows you to import your OPML file from Google Reader so unless you solely read your feeds on the iPhone then it isn't that useful.

22. 10dulkar macrumors member

have been using byline and just love it!!! especially the off-line feature...i can basically read complete articles with pictures and all...awesome...

i also have gazette but prefer byline mainly due to its look and off-line capabilities...

23. aluren macrumors 65816

been using newsstand for awhile and it's a great app. haven't crashed yet.