Best SATA 3Gb/s 2.5 in. SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jaben3421, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

I am looking to get a new 3Gb/s SSD because I'm boosting the speed of my old MacBook and just go new RAM. I am looking for a 120GB SSD, preferably SATA 3Gb/s because that's the max my old 2009 MacBook has (I know it can use a 6Gb/s but it doesn't take full advantage, so it's cheaper for a 3Gb/s) I've heard a lot about the Intel 320, but heard a lot about people still getting 8GB issue even after the update. I was wondering your personal preference on a 3Gb/s SSD, maybe what you use. Thanks.

*NOTE*
    Don't mind my signature about my new 2011 MacBook Pro, this is my old computer that I'm upgrading to make into a desktop computer sort of.

2. entrywounds macrumors newbie

The 120GB Samsung 840 is on sale on amazon right now for 91 bucks. Gonna be hard to beat that deal.

3. paul-n macrumors regular

I would go for SATA 6 Gb/s drive, because why buy and old drive.
    I like Samsung and Intel SSDs, and can recommend the Samsung 840 (Pro) series works fine for me.

4. Jaben3421 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to spend extra money on a 6Gb/s drive when my MacBook can't take advantage of it

5. RSL macrumors regular

That's not the point. The newer SSDs are just better technology. They offer great improvement in the random read/writes over the old tech, and even a SATA I interface can take advantage of this. Moreover they are less power-consuming.