Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I have my Samsung 840 Pro in my Mac Pro 5,1 (via PCIe Velocity x2)that I want to use once I get my nMP. What is the best method to use it as a editing/scratch disk while getting full speed out of it?

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Buy a used rugged 1tb LaCie thunderbolt drive from their outlet store and exchange their 1tb spinner out for your 840 Evo.

UK example:

LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt - 1TB Reconditioned

https://www.lacie.com/uk/products/clearance/products/?id=10007

TB2 not necessary as TB1 is more than enough bandwidth for a SATA3 SSD.

That looks like the old model, without the integrated thunderbolt cable.

Do you know if they upgraded the controller in the new version, or the old version will give the same speeds once upgraded with a current SSD?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
That looks like the old model, without the integrated thunderbolt cable.

Do you know if they upgraded the controller in the new version, or the old version will give the same speeds once upgraded with a current SSD?

I have no idea - all I do know is they are relatively cheap, easy to take apart and refit your own SSD inside and as the maximum speed of the 840 Pro is less than Thunderbolt 1 speed it runs as fast as it can go.

TB2 is not necessary for any single SATA3 SSD, multiple on raid that's a different story.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I have no idea - all I do know is they are relatively cheap, easy to take apart and refit your own SSD inside and as the maximum speed of the 840 Pro is less than Thunderbolt 1 speed it runs as fast as it can go.

TB2 is not necessary for any single SATA3 SSD, multiple on raid that's a different story.

Yeah I totally agree, I'm just deciding on which Thunderbolt enclosure to buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.