best sata to ide adapter? need a few. please assist!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Nov 7, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I have a small server type item and it takes ide drives, i want to get some terrabyte drives and install them with sata to ide adapters.

There is not a lot of room in the top as the container around it slides on it and the ide ports are on the top of the item where the lid slides on,

i need to get some sata to ide adapters that either have flexibility or are long cable type adapters?

any suggestions?

thanks

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

What specifically is this "server-type-item", or do you know? Maybe pictures for us to see what exactly it looks like and what you are describing? I wasn't able to get a good mental picture. Rackmount?

Personally I haven't used any, but I would imagine that all of them would run at most at IDE speeds, so the performance wouldn't compare to SATA... But this is all about storage, I take it?

3. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

At the risk of asking a stupid question, have you confirmed this device will handle larger drives? Given that it's IDE-only, it's obviously not an incredibly recent piece of tech. I don't know how old this "server type item" is, so there may be LBA addressing issues (that may, or may not, have workarounds). I guess I'm just suggesting that you confirm terabyte drives will work before going to the expense of buying drives and adaptors.

4. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey everyone, thanks for the inputs:

here is a link for the item:

http://www.geek.com/articles/xyzcom...-machine-terabyte-storage-appliance-20050930/

pic is on the inside where the drives go, a bit of space for the adapters:)

quote from link about alloweable bytes:
    "One detail that should be made clear is that Anthology Solutions’ web site currently says that the Yellow Machine can store up to 1.6 TB of data. This figure is misleading in that 1.6 TB was only chosen because the largest drives at the time were 400 GB. Now that 500 GB drives are available (from Hitachi) the maximum storage of the Yellow Machine is 2.0 TB. There is a 2.0 TB version of the Yellow Machine in the works, but don’t expect it to be available from Anthology until drive prices fall a bit and all the necessary testing has been done. There is no word on the expected price or release date"

so i guess as drives grow, the ym will allow any size?

I want to suit it with 4tb, with sata to ide adapters,

THIS IS GOING TO ACT AS MY WHOLE HOUSE TIME MACHINE BACK UPO DEVICE For:

2 mac min's
    1 mac pro
    1 hp laptop

and possible 3 1tb externals,
    (possibly?)

you can set this up to provide "user quoted data amounts" so i figure i would allow for each to get a certain amount for back up space:)

Attached Files:

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

with the pic i included i believe i may need to add sata cables in order for the adapter to lie down over the top of each drive, thn plug into the adapter itself?

possibly like this:

http://www.cooldrives.com/sainexca22ex.html

just ordered 4, should be here in a week and i will test this set up out!!

6. rtrt, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Don't forget you will also need power adaptors. You shouldn't have any LBA issues with this device.

To be honest, I think you're far better off taking the money you will be spending on adaptors and buying something more recent. Aside from the cost and potential headaches, this device is very slow. In testing it rarely breaks 5 MBps. If you're using this for backup, I think you're going to be very disappointed. This device was slow 4 years ago. Even the very cheapest of today's NAS boxes are 2x as fast.

If the NAS devices out there don't agree with your budget, there is an equivalently priced option. For the money you'll be spending, you could buy a used PC, install FreeNAS, and have something that will run circles around this.

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

It could be an EFI issue on the iMac. The ODD on the old iMac is made to boot with IDE. It will not boot optical disks with SATA. That is a limitation in the EFI32 of that machine. Only EFI64 will boot ODDs with SATA. Perhaps the mismatch is discovered when the system is started and the device is rejected?

9. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

to be honest with you i am actually building an UnRaid server, for all my movies/music and entertainment purposes, this is why i wanted to use the ym strictly for backups weekly and possibly daily.

I know there are better things out there, i just dont have the money to buy one, and already own this

I have looked at a drobo, but there are mixed reviews about those as well, due to heat.

Thanks for the advice, i may be disappointed, but it will do exactly what i want it todo, slow yes, but i do not have a lot of stuff to back up.

10. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

What power adapters are you referring to?

thanks

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

IDE uses Molex 4-pin and SATA uses 7-pin SATA power. Very few drives have SATA data and Molex power input.

12. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

i believe they are just the old regular white plastic 4 pin section with a sata power end on the other end? correct?

if so i gots some!!

what i don't have are the ide to sata adapters! or vice versa

what ones would work for my machine, and still give me supper speed in the way of transfering and stuff?

thanks!

13. rtrt, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  14. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool, thanks i will take a look!

15. pcuser01 macrumors newbie

16. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bump this thread,but I have a question
    Has anyone used one of this "sata to ide" adapters in a powermac?
    I want to buy a new HDD for my powermac g4,but IDE is almost double of the price of the Sata ones (120Gb for example) ,is it possible to buy one Sata HDD and plug it in the IDE using the adapter?
    I have one from a old Abit Nf7-S
    [​IMG]

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes. :)

The device is just a Bridge chip, which means it's purely hardware - no drivers, system hardware, or OS interaction required.

18. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

thanks a lot :)
    Now I only have one doubt
    1 Seagate 320GB SATA II 7200.12rpm HDD

or one 8Gb cf card (233x for example) with cf to ide adapter and use the current 40Gb IDE HDD that I have for storage
    ?

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd use the Seagate myself, as the IDE devices you're mentioning are slow in comparison. Remember, HDD throughput is one (if not the biggest) bottleneck in a system.