Best Schools for Distance Education

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac000, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to finish my college education via Distance Learning. I would like to anyway, is this a wise choice?

Does anyone have any first hand experience?

I would like a bachelors in BA/BS in business marketing/management.

What are the best schools for distance education?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I personally don't like distance/online classes, so my personal vote is against it. :eek:

However, if you're into it, then I advise you double and even triple check the school's accreditation. A recent report found that upwards of 30% of online degrees recently awarded were from non-accredited schools.

Just a word to the wise.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i agree - i think distance learning is not a wise way to go as you lack the face-to-face interaction and group dynamic you get in a classroom setting.

what i do think is worth looking at is low-residency programs. not sure of what schools offer what you need (i am a designer, not a business management guy) that have a low-residency program, but the basic idea is you only are on campus for a limited amount of time each semester. so you get the advantage of "work on your own at home" that distance learning offers, and the crucial "face-time" with other students and faculty that a normal degree offers.

worth looking into.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just to point out the other side of the coin, a friend of mine is in an online grad school program, part-time while also working. The advantage was being able to "attend" the top U.S. university for the particular field of study, rather than being limited to universities in the same geographical area or having to move cross-country.

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Out of curiosity, which school/program? Does he like the experience?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

University of Missouri-Rolla/Missouri S&T (I'm still calling it UMR, the chancellor can take the new name and shove it up his arse) has a pretty extensive distance program. And it's a very well known school in the engineering field (the business department is a bit newer and doesn't have as much name recognition yet). It's not some "get your degree online in 30 days!!!!!" bullcrap you see on TV.

I don't know much about the distance program. I took a class here on campus that was also offered distance, but that's my only experience. I must say, it was nice being able to skip class and go back and watch the lecture online :D

7. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

Distance learning is fine. You'll get a decent amount of interaction, for instance if you are attending at XY University and the instructor is teaching class at AB College. Often, even if it's a couple-hour distance between the schools, the teacher will switch which school he teaches at so that all students get some face-to-face time.

Just avoid online programs.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is the best advice really and there are a couple of reasons why it is important to check. For 5 weeks I was a "student" at University of Phoenix. I hated every second of it and wondered what could one learn in 5 weeks? In many cases the answer is a lot, but two classes, 5 weeks, full time job...not such a great idea for me. One day I was telling a former CFO of my company what school I was attending and he very openly said that I should never do anything that I wouldn't want on my resume. Words to live by and they've served me very well. I started looking into local universities around me and found that of the many choices Chapman embodied the very culture that I sought. The one thing I did not want to do was complete my undergrad online. This was a personal preference as I wanted to experience college...at least once. With grad school I was more open to the idea of doing it online. I do not regret this decision.

Chapman, as any reputable school, will have to assess previous college work and see if the units/credit hours are transferrable. UoP was a wash. A $3000 wash that is. The school didn't carry the proper accreditions for an "online" degree. After completing my undergrad I applied to Pepperdine University. They contacted me and said I was a good canadite for their executive MBA program. I started researching that and fell stumbled on Utica College. UC carried all of the accredidation that was necessary for me to earn a useful degree and if I so choose to move towards a PhD I am not up **** creek due to some half-ass education like UoP. UC was 75% online and I never lost the interaction that people often complain about. I have met, learned, and spent time with all but two professors. The best thing about it all is that unlike the two courses I completed at UoP, I am using a great deal of my education in my job today. It has helped me to be better at what I do and more importantly it has given me that edge to rise even while the company has fallen.

I do not feel anything was lacking but that is me. Not everyone is like me and we can't know who you are or if you'll succeed...only you know that.

Online learning has come a very long way. When I was in high school they had classes on the local TV station. Online learning is no different and often affords people to return to school when it may not be feasible to sit in class all day or night. I know a few ladies who have had the opportunity to get a great education and raise their kids. I know of a man who underwent a major operation and while in recovery he managed to complete some courses. Online learning is really a positive for people but more so adult learners. Not to say it's not ok for younger people of course. ;)

OP Have you checked the major universities? Or whatever your state school is?

One final thought, online learning may mean you are studying at a school out of your state. This raises the costs significantly. I had to decide if it was worth it to me and you'll have to do the same. For me I don't mind paying for my investment because it is just that, an investment.

You could really benefit from reading this article on online degrees and their overall approval rating.

9. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I'd stay away from any programs that are exclusively online and offer programs and time frames that sound too good to be true via excessively glossy television and direct mail campaigns. Many of these programs have had accreditation problems, and some aren't particularly well respected by people who review resumes, etc. My friend works with employees looking for placements and says many of his contacts still don't think much of places like University of Phoenix, etc.

However, there shouldn't be any major problems with distance programs offered by reputable institutions, including several of the ones suggested by previous posters in this thread. Distance education software has improved greatly in the last four or five years, making it much easier to interact online with classmates and professors. Furthermore, one thing you might be interested in is the increasing number of hybrid programs and classes, where you can take a mix of online and "traditional" classes, or, individual classes where you do the bulk of the work online, but the course does meet once or twice per semester on campus so that you can meet the other students and professors.

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Troy University brags to be the largest University in the world, offering a number of ways to earn your degree.