Best screen ever per Displaymate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HEK, Nov 6, 2017.

1. HEK, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Check out this video.

It’s even better on Vimeo but won’t paste on here.

2. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

[​IMG]
    Could u open this pick in ur gallery and move left and right and see if u see any gosthing effect from the black to the greys?
    It would help me a lot to understand if I’ve got a defective unit.

3. HEK thread starter macrumors 68040

HEK

Yes I have ghosting. It’s part of how OLED screens refresh pixels. They retain more so than LED. Don’t think you have defective screen. It’s how OLED screens function. Each screen tech has positives and negatives. Perhaps with Quantum Dot Screens in future we will get only good and none of bad. Keep pushing the envelope manufacturers, we the customer will never be satisfied.

4. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

Thanks a lot for answering. So besides
    Yellow whites
    Burn in risk
    Color degradation
    We have to consider this gosthing effect normal on a 1400 euros Device?
    This makes me so sad

5. HEK thread starter macrumors 68040

HEK

Unfortunately each screen technology has limits and good and bad. Nothing perfect yet, who knew?

Every OLED screen has varying degrees of these drawbacks. Samsung has the most experience making these screens. And with Apple specking out what they wanted along with using their drivers and chips, this is the best screen to date.

Color temperature can be adjusted various ways by you. Nothing can be done about color shift at angle, though Apple’s screen has the least shift. Burn in is fact of life with OLED. But again least likely with Apple specter screen.

Read the Full Displaymate review. Some interesting information tucked away in it regarding screens in general as well as specifics about various screens on various phones. Very informative.

6. luca.spiga1992 macrumors member

I will give a look to display mate . Tbh I can go over everything but this ghosting effect is killing me. I can see it whenever I scroll
    the Facebook app in the video section and there is a bit of delay charging the video resulting part of the screen being black.
    Knowing it’s a common problem and no one complain about it makes me feel a bit too “mad” for this phone.

7. kre62 macrumors 68020

Displaymate holds no weight then, in my opinion. The X is by far the worst looking screen I've ever seen. I'll admit to preferring cooler tones, but the X is insane. It looks nothing like real life. I get that Displaymate thinks its the most accurate, but that is in comparison to a fake yellow standard. So if the X represents the fullest realization of that standard, then I reject that standard as inferior.

8. HEK thread starter macrumors 68040

HEK

Perhaps this phone and OLED display are not for you. Within 14 days trade in for 8 or 8 Plus. Or try other manufacturer. Other than on your test I don’t see or find what you speak of as an issue, luckely for me. Good luck to you finding what suits you.