Best screen for reducing eye strain?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dhodeltoro, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Dhodeltoro macrumors newbie

I am deciding between a MBA and rMBP. I think the retina screen looks great, but I have heard rumors that the intensity of the pixel display is more likely to cause headache than the normal display. Does anyone have experience with this?

I am generally sensitive to electronics and screen brightness, but using a computer on daily basis is a necessary reality for me.

2nd question: When the rMBP 13 is rated at 9 hours battery life, is that at full screen brightness?

Thanks!

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would think the Retina would reduce eye strain, but I would recommend that you test them out for an extended period to know for sure.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

60% brightness

That's at about 60% brightness.

The retina is easier on the eyes especially with text and the anti glare coating helps too.

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The Retina display cut down eyestrain for me SIGNIFICANTLY compared to my cMBP.

5. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Agree - just went from cMBP to rMBP and everything is sharper and easier to read.

I wonder if people complaining about eye strain simply have the brightness up too high. You can really crank it up and light up a room...

R

6. LxHunter macrumors 6502

For same reason I went to 15 rMBP.
    And you may find this helpful
    https://justgetflux.com

7. theBostonian Suspended

I'm happy with my cMBP but I use f.lux to make it softer in the evenings and also the brightness is at 11

8. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Gunnar Eye glasses ... I use them for games and working at the computer for a long period of time. They're the best, the headaches and eye strain you get go away instantly when you put them on.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

what is cMBP?

P.S. first post written on a kindle :D

10. 5to1 macrumors 6502

Not sure what you mean by intensity of pixel display, but i suspect the rumours are just that or some other aspect of the display disagreeing with some people and users attributing it to the headline feature. I assume you have no problems reading good quality printed text, so why would a high resolution display able to produce sharper text be the cause of problems?

Often its users making basic errors that results in eye strain. Not taking a break when needed. Not adjusting display brightness so it's appropriate for background light levels. For example you wouldn't repeatedly stare at a bright torch in a dark room, so why do people leave their display set as bright as the sun :/

If you really have issues with displays, then it's obviously prudent to check every new purchase out before hand. However, if you haven't looked at best practice and guidance for avoiding issues I'd suggest reading up on those to quite literally save yourself regular headaches

11. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Conventional MBP (non-retina).

R

12. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Classic MacBook Pro

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Retina significantly reduces eye strain. My computer at work is an ancient 1280x1000 monitor that kills my eyes especially after using an rMBP at home. The screen on the Air isn't bad, but the retina is significantly better for reducing eye strain.

14. Dhodeltoro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, this is super helpful. Sounds like eye strain isn't a concern.

When I say I am sensitive to electronics, I also mean that I have electromagnetic hypersensitivity. The real answer to this is limit computer use, whatever the computer. But is there any reason to think it would be worse on a rMBP vs cMBP or MBA?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

Finally, do people find the flat front of the keyboard annoying on MBP compared to the tapered design on MBA?

These are my only rMBP concerns, as it seems like such a beautiful machine.

15. Anitramane macrumors 6502

If you want to reduce eye strain, no display is the best display

16. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

^ What he said.

Just reduce the brightness and if you tend you use your rMBP late at night or in dim areas, download the app Flux.
    I use it all the time and personally helps me.

17. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I get headaches from most LCD screens when they are too bright. I edit photos mostly and the brightest I've got my screen turned up when I do this is to 9 or 10, not 11 lol. When I'm just surfing or whatever, I turn it down to 4 or 5. This doesn't hurt my eyes as much.

I read somewhere that the time is measured at half brightness, 8.

18. Dhodeltoro thread starter macrumors newbie

I had just assumed that laptops causing the most heat would also emit the most electromagnetic radiation.

19. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It is a beautiful machine but yes, I much prefer the tapered design of the Air as for me anyway, it was much easier on my wrists. I just had to adjust how I hold my wrists when typing. The retina display more than makes up for it though.

20. taelan28 macrumors regular

Retina reduces eye strain. Instead of a 4 hr power session job searching and being blind i can go for 6 or 8 and still see clearly.

21. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Nope. Just more EMR emitted in the form of heat from your chassis – heat which would dissipate beyond detection prior to reaching you. All EMR forms are comprised of photons, the categories are based on their respective energies. Regardless, as self-diagnosed EMR-sensitivity is psychogenic anyway*, this information will likely be of little use.

*The vast majority of provocation trials to date have found that self-described sufferers of electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to distinguish between exposure to real and fake electromagnetic fields.