Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smikes22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Suggestions needed for screen protection... case recommendations as well!

soccerjoshj07

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I use the Otterbox Commuter Case. Love it. Would highly recommend it. Comes w/ screen protector. Might be able to find it cheaper on ebay of course. Also different colors to pick from.

[ Link ]

ras119

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
If your willing to pay the high price for it I would highly recommend the Lifeproof case because it is waterproof and is pretty sleek. I currently use it for my 4S and I love it because there is no more worrying about dropping it in water or spilling anything on it. It is a hefty price but I def think its worth it because I love the case.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I just got the Skintomi full body skin (under 5 bucks shipped at Amazon) on mine. I received a cheap bumper today that fits great and looks good... but I already took it off, even this thin silicon bumper makes my phone feel bulky and kills a lot of the sleekness that appeals to me about the iPhone 4S design.

I am actually liking the skin even though I can see the "orange peel" when light is reflected off the phone and I've got a couple of dust specks stuck underneath it too on the front side... it was my bad for pulling the thing off and trying to reapply it.

Anyway... that's what I'm using... just a clear 3M skin (they're all the same I think)... the Skintomi set is nice though... comes in a nice box with a decent application card and a little spray bottle with solution in it.

Last edited:

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I hate cases, but I use a Switcheasy TRIM from time to time and I really like it. Switcheasy cases are really the only cases I use for an extended period of time.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I don't use cases or screen protectors as it distracts from the actual beauty and design of the phone. I'm not covering it. This is what AppleCare+ is for. If I were, a screen protector is the most I would do. This is the only protector that I've experienced that doesn't noticeably interferes with the screen or have a "sticky" residue. I have tried BSE and Zagg and they all have that and diminish the screen. PowerSupport Crystal has been the best so far.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I use the Otterbox Commuter Case. Love it. Would highly recommend it. Comes w/ screen protector. Might be able to find it cheaper on ebay of course. Also different colors to pick from.

[ Link ]

commuter was too slick for me, and i didnt like how the edge where the plastic meets the silicon could catch

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't use cases or screen protectors as it distracts from the actual beauty and design of the phone. I'm not covering it. This is what AppleCare+ is for. If I were, a screen protector is the most I would do. This is the only protector that I've experienced that doesn't noticeably interferes with the screen or have a "sticky" residue. I have tried BSE and Zagg and they all have that and diminish the screen. PowerSupport Crystal has been the best so far.

I used to use BSE since my iPod Video and first gen Touch and I did notice it was a bit sticky... but the Skintomi ones I bought recently seem a bit more to the touch... I did install it a bit wonky though so it's got a bit of waves and orange peel effect. Obviously not quite a slick as naked glass but it still very usable and not "sticky" like the BSE I previously had on my iPods. Maybe they're better now... it feels similar to the glass... just "softer" is the best description for it.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I've had each generation of iPhone...and it seems for each, I've ended up with two or three cases each...finally, with the 3GS and on to the 4, I was happy with the iFrog cases. Decent protection, sleek, tight fitting and all Ports accessible. Usually at Best Buy, they'll go on sale 50% off once in awhile

That said, with the purchase of my new 4s, I picked up the Mophie juice pack Air. Love it! Adds about a third of an inch on the bottom...no significant weight considering you're getting essentially another battery! It's awesome...and again, tight...sleek, port accessible and looks to be protective in the case of a drop

Highly recommended. However, there's a model a step above mine. They were out when I got mine, otherwise I'd have done that. A bit more power storage. Regardless, I wasn't one with battery issues either with my iPhone 4 (with iOS 5.0) or my 4s. Both were fine. The Mophie though adds an extra sense of confidence. I can tether to my MBP and MBAir all morning. Turn the juice on....and go from 40% to a full battery within the hour! Splendid:)

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
I second the suggestion for Life Proof. I've had their case on my iPhone 4s for about a month now and I am 100% satisfied. In using it, I have found my ideal case. I wanted a case that was water, drop, and dust proof but that was also stylish. None of the cases I saw offered all this until I found the life proof case. It works exactly as advertised an it is quite nice as well. I use it in school and my students are amazed by how nice it is and with all that it is capable of protecting against. I highly recommend it!

llfloyd79

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Va. Beach, VA.
I just brought ZAGG's invisibleSHIELD. Alil expensive at $20 bucks, but it has a lifetime warranty so that's always a good thing. Only had it on one day. So far so good. Screen clarity still looks the same as if it was bare.

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Otterbox - not the prettiest nor the coolest looking but it provides solid protection, great warranty and comes with an easy to install screen protector.

This commuter case works for the 4S, and ignore the poor reviews. Otterbox will always replace the case with a new one if you aren't satisfied anyway.

The impact case is just as big size wise, though it is lighter and does not include the harder plastic outside. At $10 it's hard to go wrong with this one.

I have the commuter since I drop my phones all the time, but the impact should be good for most people that want just protection. I may sound like a huge fanboy, but honestly Otterbox has given me great service and protection over the past 4+ years.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I also suggest the lifeproof case,it's thin so adds very little bulk,the built in screen shield barely distorts the phones screen like other screen shields can. It's amazing!

Rami98

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2011
Detroit, MI
i Have a zagg. Its really nice, but if you get it get the full body. I also have an Incipio case. Those things are the best...they are amazing. Either the flat harder ones or the rubbery ones. Incases are too flimsy and i heard belkins are nice too.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
All I care about, is scuff and scratch protection, as I never drop my phones. So I have the ultra minimalistic Pinlo Slice 3 'case' on my iPhone 4s. With supplied front screen shield.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
No screen protector, just pure joy from the stellar tactile feedback.

No case, I'm celebrating that Apple has finally created a phone that works :)

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I use skinomi, its better than Zagg. I don't even notice the screen is on, surface is slick. Its cheap, why not give it a shot.

$1.39+ shipping on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechSkin-Protector-Shield-Verizon/dp/tech-data/B005SJBIVI

weird how the iphone4 version cost $15.99 but the 4S cost $1.39 while they are the same exact item lol. They offer lifetime warranty like Zagg, but the funny thing is the shipping to skinomi for replacement cost more than buying a new one off amazon.

51nf3E9jLxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

Because of this thread, I decided to go ahead and buy a PS Crystal. I didn't have a need or want for it; I'm a ***** happens kind of guy. Anyway, I haven't used one since the 3GS and not for the 4 as well since it wasn't sold at the AppleStore anymore and I didn't really want it. Well, I got it, I put it on relatively easy. Didn't know they had front and back now. I honestly can't tell that I have it on unless I look at the cut outs for the cameras and the buttons, etc. Doesn't change clarity of screen or appearance, still feels like it did when I didn't have it on. It was pretty slick, so I kept it on since it won't bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.