Best screen protector to replace lousy built-in protectors?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by anthrovisual, Mar 23, 2012.

?

Which screen protector would you use to replace Otterbox Defender's or other case's?

1. Power Support screen protector

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Ghost Armor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Zagg Invisible Shield

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. Other (please name below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

I'm creating a new thread to address a specific problem. Apparently cases with built-in screen protectors (at least the heady-duty ones like the Otterbox Defender, Griffin Survivor, Gumdrop Drop) has a screen protector that is not compatible with the new iPad (3rd Generation) retina display. The protectors produce a grainy texture of pixels that interferes with the display's quality and clarity.

Since I need plenty of protection but don't want a grainy screen, I'm considering doing what others are doing and installing a screen protector onto the iPad to replace the built-in screen protector.

I would like to hear what others recommend is the best screen protector for the new iPad's retina display (something that offers protection without compromising the display's quality and color)? Probably the thinner the better too if that is an option.

I understand that many don't believe a screen protector is necessary but for the purposes and places I plan to use the device, I'm not taking any chances.

2. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Oh, I was considering the GumDrop, but if the built-in screen protector takes away and makes the display look grainy then I will continue to look for the "perfect" case. I have the GumDrop on pre-order . . . by the way, maybe the manufacturers have taken into account the HD display of the new iPad have made the built-in screen protectors better?? How did you find out that Otterbox Defender, Griffin Survivor, Gumdrop Drop interferes with the HD display?

This makes me think that the stick-on protectors could interfere too, especially an anti-glare matte protector.

3. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

I have an Otterbox Defender myself and so I can confirm its problem. I then searched through the forums and found at least 1 person confirming that the other cases had the same problem.

I even contacted Griffin's customer support and the representative believed that the case would have the problem unless they use a glass material (not exactly a confirmation but at least I heard from one of the companies).

At least 2 individuals thought that using a screen protector (stick-on maybe) was a remedy to the Otterbox problem so I'm assuming those protectors do not produce the same issue.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Read the countless screen protector threads. Best is always highly subjective and it's no different with screen protectors. Otherwise we'd all use the exact same screen protector. If you want suggestions then you need to clearly define your criteria. Don't simply assume that your preferences are universal.

5. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

The post implies "best" meaning one that works with the Otterbox defender (or other heavy duty case) and does not distort with the iPad's retina display.

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Smart cover is all you need.

7. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Some of us take our iPad into the field where we don't want to be worrying about the $1000 tablet ending up busted and not working. If we depend on it for work, that would be more than just a financial cost, it could mean losing vital information or communication at a critical moment. That loss cannot be replaced with a warranty or prevented by the Smartcover.

I've tried to find something better than the Otterbox with a screen that works but it doesn't seem to exist. I might end up removing the screen protector for home/office use and having a second cover with built-in screen protector for field use. It's a shame though.