Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Anybody putting a screen protector or shield over their Series 7? If so I wondered if there was a standout best solution for this (something which doesn’t ruin the great aesthetics of the design) ? Not looking for a case for the whole watch , just to protect the screen.

My last Apple Watch screen got a load of micro scratches after just 1 year so would like to perhaps try to protect this one a little better. (it will be the ALU version,45mm)

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
this is a bad idea ?
If Apple made the screen coatings more durable I wouldn’t even be thinking about it but the non sapphire versions seem to be quite scratch prone judging from my previous ones.

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
my series 4 full of scratch after remove screen protection .. on series 7 not taking any risk

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I use Armorsuit which I am very happy with. Actually got the fully body protector plus screen protector. Slight orange peel effect under scrutiny and the right light, but most of the time you can't even tell it's there. Would be interested in a high quality glass protector that actually works without bubbles, but it seems the good ones are super expensive. Would rather spend a fraction of the cost and get two full protectors that work great.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Have you ever seen someone with an expensive watch, a Rolex, Panerai, Omega, etc with a protector on the glass or a full body protector? No, of course you haven't and they're far more expensive and will last far longer than an Apple Watch.

Reactions: John dosh

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Have you ever seen someone with an expensive watch, a Rolex, Panerai, Omega, etc with a protector on the glass or a full body protector? No, of course you haven't and they're far more expensive and will last far longer than an Apple Watch.

1. Those watches all have sapphire crystals, so they aren't going to get scratched. Not the case for the Ion-X glass.
2. I'd be willing to bet if someone made a protector for the body of those watches, some people would buy them. I've seen people with their own homemade solutions to this issue in the absence of a market for such things. Also, if you can afford a 5K-10k watch, it's often the case that people don't worry as much about minor to modest damage to personal possessions because you more often have plenty of disposable income to replace or repair at your leisure. Someone putting a protector on the screen or body of their Apple Watch is very unlikely to be the person who also owns a 5k-10k or greater watch. We're talking about two different populations here, and one is not wrong while the other is right.
3. Luxury watches are supposed to be serviced periodically, and with those services you can choose to have the case and bracelet refinished to brand new condition.
4. There is something counterintuitive yet still compelling about keeping something in good condition that you know you will only have for 2-3 years, as opposed to something you expect to keep potentially for life. You know that it's possible to keep something you'll have for a short time in perfect condition, whereas something you expect to have for decades, you know that's impossible unless it becomes a "safe queen," so it almost seems more natural to allow the so-called "wabi sabi" or patina on a very expensive watch to happen so as to add character. All of this is not necessarily logical, but such is the case.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Reminds me, I need to sell the Rolex, Panerai, Omega and Breitling watches I've got in my winder that were regularly worn until I bought the original Apple Watch and have barely touched them since. Strangely, none of them have any protectors or cases on them, they're all very old now and immaculate. I used to rotate them and wear them daily.

Perhaps I just take care of my stuff better than others.

Reactions: John dosh

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
It's in a way unfortunate that the Apple Watch works the way it does and sort of crowds out the fun that was collecting mechanical watches and wearing a new one each day/week. Hard to enjoy both. And definitely some folks manage to keep their stuff looking much better than others over the years.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
It's in a way unfortunate that the Apple Watch works the way it does and sort of crowds out the fun that was collecting mechanical watches and wearing a new one each day/week. Hard to enjoy both
In a way, I miss wearing them. I use them very occasionally but because I've had them so long now, I just don't want to get rid of them but I really know I ought to. But I love my Apple Watch and to be blunt about it, it's so much more useful.

I think I've worn my mechanical watches less than twenty times since the Apple Watch first appeared on the scene.

Sorry for dragging this so far off topic.

Reactions: ajm222

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
yep, same. but I also always enjoyed wearing a mechanical for a while and then selling it and trying something else. did a lot of flipping. you could always sell them to someone who will enjoy them now, and then treat yourself to something new in the future if you ever do get back in the hobby and tire of the Apple Watch. things change. probably just consider saving one or two if they have some sort of sentimental value. otherwise, probably no good reason to hold onto them.

Reactions: dsi76

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've never had an expensive watch like a Rolex, but back when I used to wear regular watches, I would have bought screen protectors for them if such things had been sold! I'm clumsy and all my watches ended up with scratched screens. If I ever had a Rolex, would I want to have a screen protector for it? If it was something I wore every day, absolutely yes.

Reactions: ajm222
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.