best screenshots/interface/view of word 2008 for productivity

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tkjazzer, Feb 24, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hey, guys,

What tips do you have about writing in word 2008 to maximize productivity?

Do you like word to fill your whole screen, only half?

Any tips you have on minimizing distractions with set-up / view would be appreciated since I'm constantly distracted while writing on the computer.

Thanks.

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

There's a program called WriteRoom that blacks out the entire screen and only has green text, it's designed to keep you from distractions. With Word, it may help to turn off any extra toolbars you don't need.

Personally, I can't stand Word 2008 since it is terribly buggy, especially with Expose and Spaces, so I use Pages or Textedit.

3. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

i think if you only use the green button on the top left?? i can't remember what it is called. it may be a little annoying.

i know for me. i need the screen maximized, so i don't see my desktop icons and wallpaper.

also if you maximize it, it's a good idea to show the thumbnails on the side of the page. it takes up blank room and is nifty if you have multiple pages.
    as well, close the tool box, as this causes the problems with expose and spaces. if you need it just open it up.. otherwise imo keep it closed.

also, hide ur dock if you're worried about distractions and turn your wireless card off if you dont need it. it helps you focus.. without checking your email or going on youtube or what not.

4. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

My best advice for optimizing productivity in Word is not to use it.

Pages :D

Sorry. Hehe.

5. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

why does the "green button" plus sign (maximize) not expand the page to the full screen? It only goes to half the screen. Is this a setting?

Thanks,

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I installed that on my buddy's Mac once. Gave myself full permission to send commands and control the screen. Let's just say I began with the line, "Hello Neo..." :D It was fun.

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

There are a billion threads on the green button. It's not maximize. It's a "zoom" or "toggle" button that (in most applications) optimizes the window size to display everything while simultaneously taking up as little screen real estate as possible. That's how it works in theory in the applications that try to implement it that way. Some don't. I have no idea how Microsoft chose to handle it.

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I just use the normal layout how it loads up because I usually have to use the internet or some other program to get my work done. If all you are using is Word, I would say to hide your dock and whatever else distracts you. You could try out Writeroom like the above poster talked about and see if that works good for you.

9. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

microsoft decided that it would make more sense to expand the screen to cover the whole screen.

apple likes to do things different, so the green button is infact an optimize button. it allows you to see everything on the screen, while maximizing space on your computer screen.

the only reason why this looks funny to switchers, is because we are soo used to seeing the full screen. (even though we see the same amount of content, where on mac or pc). i'd still rather have it the mircrosoft way. but it's not a big deal. once you drag the window to the size you want, it automatically saves the position like that. so it's not that big of a deal.

10. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

I have it over about 3/4 of the screen and on the right side where it isn't I have the hovering toolbar and then the main toolbar at the top. I hate when it gets messed up with spaces though >.<