Best SD card for 13 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marco123, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I will be receiving my new 13" MBP 2015 soon but I only opted for the 128 GB SSD.
    What would be the best SD card to purchase for the MBP?
    Thanks.

2. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

If you plan to use a SD card or compact MicroSDXC adapter which sits flush to the MBP side you'll want to stick with SanDisk or Lexar as their warranty/mail-back is >7 working days. Other companies which are great is Patriot, GSkill & AData but warranty replacement is uber snail-mail(14+ turn-around) but the multi-pack deals from NewEgg offsets that downside. I wouldn't touch PNY SDHC cards of any type if raw speed is important, I've had class 4 cards being faster than their class 10 and some subpar class 10 cards too.

As with any storage media you'll still want to maintain a backup, I've had a few 8-32GB SD/SDHC cards fail. Oddly dirt cheap cards(Class 4) rarely fail from overheating, then again I only use SD cards on a Chromebook to transfer cloud/off-line Ubuntu work to my MBP so moving ~5GB worth of data daily is quite common.

3. robE89 macrumors regular

Depends a lot for what do you want to use that space. If you want speedy storage then an adaptor with the microsd sandisk extreme pro (64gb max) is the best choice which gives you ~90 read and ~80 write. If you just want storage space then you can also go directly with transcend jetdrive which can give you 128gb max and aggressive pricing but slow speed ~50 read, ~15 write.

I've wrote only about microsd cards because they don't stick out, i guess that with big sd cards you can end up cheaper and better with the downside of "ugliness" :D

4. Marco123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm after a SD card that won't stick out.
    Which ones won't ?

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Search Google for flush mount SD cards. There are lots of them. I found them when doing a Google search myself some months ago.