Best SD card recommendation?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eswank, Jun 1, 2011.

1. eswank macrumors 6502

Over the weekend my SD card broke, The slider that places the card on lock broke off in the lock position and I can't place it back on. So I'm stuck with an 8GB SD card that I can only read from. So I'm in the market for a new card. I'm gonna start doing portraits and test on maternity photos so I know I want to shoot raw. Do you guys have any recommendations on what card to get? I'm currently shooting with a D300s. Thanks!

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    SDHC, and SANDISK, 32GB flavor especially, just my 2 cents:cool:

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I recently got this for use in my T3i. Probably a little overkill but it seems to work pretty well.

[​IMG]

4. c1phr macrumors 6502

I personally have had too many issues with SanDisk cards to recommend them (though only with their SD/Micro SD, never with their CF). How much space are you looking for? If you're the kind of person who shoots lots of small cards, this 8gb AData might be worth a look (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211180), though if you're looking to go big, I've had very good experience with PNY's "Professional" line shooting both 14-bit RAW and 1080p video on a D7000 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178337).

5. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. I'll check all the given recommendations!

6. Captpegleg macrumors member

It sorta sounds to me like you have only one disk. No matter which brand or capacity you go with, you must have two of them. Of all the things you need to have back-ups of, memory is first on the list.
    The different strategies on how big and how many is endless. For me, I've found 8 gig works great and that's using NEF for about 95% of my work. I shoot a D3 and it has slots for 2 disk and options on how they're used. Mostly, I use the second 8 gig card as an overflow and it seldom gets used. I also have another pair of cards attached to the neck strap and my back-up D700 has the same set-up except it only holds 1 card in the camera.
    I've never had a disk break but it's going to happen sometime and I'll get all paranoid about disk usage, life expectancy and brands and all the other stuff you're wrestling with now. The only issue I've ever had with cards I caused by using the computer to erase the cards instead of reformatting the card with the camera. Whatever you end up with don't skimp on quality. Buy critical camera gear at reputable dealers and have confidence in your tools.